Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Living with anxiety in a foreign country

User Profile: blackBubbles2181
blackBubbles2181 August 28th, 2019

Living with anxiety in a foreign country and not being fluent in the native language triggers my anxiety in a general and social level. I

7
User Profile: originalUnicorn17
originalUnicorn17 August 28th, 2019

@blackBubbles2181

Hey, what you are going through is really hard. it's a cultural shock. a new country, a new language, people behave differently to some extent. you are away from your loved ones and those you can relate too. at some point it will start feeling lonely and that's what is happening to you now. But you know what? i'm proud of you! you are strong and you took the risk and left your comfort zone to go an experience something new and different. you are courageous to take that risk.
I want to send you hugs, is that okay? anxiety is terrifying and it is so frustrating when it starts controling your life. i hope everything get's better soon. baby steps are the key. it's okay if you don't find the words, take your time and try to explain things little by little. after all you are still learning. don't be too hard on yourself because you are doing what you can and life is not easy! be proud of your achievements no matter how small. you can do it!!
i wish you the best! stay strong!

2 replies
User Profile: blackBubbles2181
blackBubbles2181 OP August 29th, 2019

@originalUnicorn17

Honestly, just reading about your hug put a lump in my throat, I never knew how far even just a virtual hug could go to make me feel optimistic about my struggles. I've been aware of 7 cups for quite a while now, and only really took the step yesterday to finally participate, and now I'm wondering why I waited so long. The support here is just so unbelievable, and I'm really coming to realize how much these amazingly encouraging and supportive interactions make such a positive difference in my life. Thank you for your words... I'm so grateful... sending a hug back and hoping that it somehow makes your day better too!!!!

1 reply
User Profile: originalUnicorn17
originalUnicorn17 August 29th, 2019

@blackBubbles2181 i'm glad you feel this way. i hope you find more and more support here with us! we have a variety of activities that can help you and lift up your mood. you can try the progress path where you can choose what you want to work on (there is an anxiety adapted one). group chat can help too, there are many people who can relate to you.
and if you want a one on one chat, you can text me and i'll get back to you as soon as i can.
welcome to 7 cups!

load more
load more
User Profile: HopeAndTea
HopeAndTea September 3rd, 2019

@blackBubbles2181

I strongly resonate with your post. I have been living in the US for 2 years, but I still struggle socially on a daily basis. Even after years of informal and formal English instructions, I still find it hard to fully express myself and get information across. I have recently figured out that the more I feel nervous about myself, the more mistakes I make when speaking and writing. Strangely, anxiety can make even the simplest sentences difficult to express. Once I realize that, I don't blame myself for language incompetency, but I realize that path to social connection is to overcome social anxiety and be truly confident deep within.