Noisy Neighbors Worsening my Anxiety
I'm kind of at my wits end about this and I don't know what else to do. My boyfriend and I have been living in this crappy apartment (seriously, the place is falling apart and the management here is so bad, they fix nothing) for almost two years now and for the first maybe ten months, things were decent. Then our old neighbors, an expectant couple, moved out and our current neighbors took their place. Right now, the guys living next door are casual drug dealers and one of them has a psycho ex girlfriend who comes by at 3am and breaks his windows and yells at him. I've eavesdropped on him while on the phone outside his house and have overheard he has been in contact with the police about this already but nothing has really happened. This has been happening since October of 2018, and it is now April of 2019. His girlfriend is not the only problem, however. Even when she is not nearby, I can still hear him having arguments and screaming about god only knows what. I can't ever really make out what he's saying, I can just hear him shouting/arguing. It was especially bothersome tonight since he sounded particularly loud from inside my bathroom where I was trying to struggle through a double whammy anxiety attack and IBS flare-up. My boyfriend and I have already signed a lease for a new place, but we can't move in until August when our lease here is up and the lease at this place starts (we live in a college town [with an unfortunately high crime rate--hence why I have been hesitant on calling the police about my neighbor, seeing as I don't know what kinds of social circles he's in but considering his demeanor and drug dealing endeavors, I can only assume he's got backup that could potentially come after me if it was ever discovered that I was the one who called the cops and subsequently put this guy back in jail (I've overheard him also say on the phone while he was outside that he is not trying to go back to jail or something to that effect)]). I know we have an escape and I am so incredibly grateful to know that we'll be getting out of this soon, but this has been really bothering my anxiety for months on end, and it seems in the past week my own mental and physical health struggles have been escalating considerably. Since they moved in, I can tell my mental health has been taking a turn for the worst. I've even had to get on anxiety medication, which I'm sure I needed before but it feels like I need it even more now as things don't seem to improve at all next door. It's gotten to the point where every little noise has me nervous his crazy his ex girlfriend is back, and I'm even more scared than ever to leave my house after an incident in November whee someone broke into his apartment in broad daylight and then opened fire on him right outside our front door. I'm scared, I'm nervous, I don't feel safe, and I don't know what to do to deal with it anymore at least in the course of the next few months until we move to a fortunately quieter neighborhood come August.
Hi @myaekingheart
I really feel for you <3 noisy neighbours are stressful at the best of times and certainly challenge our health and patience! but yours is a very different situation and I wish I could offer some concrete answer but all I can do is offer support and let you know we're always here for you, so anytime you need to chat, just drop by.
Take good care of yourself<3
Lucy2
@myaekingheart
That sounds like it sucks. Usually I try to mind my own business but if I was in your situation, I would want answers from them! :p I'm glad to hear you may fortunately go to a quieter neighbourhood. The best thing to do in this situation is to stick it out, it gets better, life goes on. Because they sound like not very positive people, I wouldn't confront them about it but it's your choice in the end of course. I hope it gets better and I know it will!
- Minerva