Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Regulate my emotions

User Profile: lausau123
lausau123 May 22nd, 2023

I have been having difficulty regulating my emotions when I get angry.

if anyone has any coping strategies please let me know

66
User Profile: SunshineStina
SunshineStina February 3rd, 2024

Hello. I am sorry you have been having difficulty with this. Let’s look together at ways to regulate when you are angry.


User Profile: Yfgaex
Yfgaex February 4th, 2024

Hi


Sorry to hear about this. Maybe if I quickly explain what is going on in your brain it might help.


Strong emotions make us “stupid”. What that means is that when we are angry, for example, the higher advanced part of our brains physically shuts down and the primitive part of our brain stem, is switched on.


So way back when early man was at risk of being eaten by a lion, our primitive brain would have us reacting without even thinking. So if a lion walked into your room, you’d react without even thinking about it. You’d be out the window without thinking.


When you get angry, your thinking brain is temporarily switched off and you are being controlled by your primitive brain. Have you noticed when you are having an argument that you can never see the other person’s point of view? It’s all about me and how wronged I am.


So what do you do when you get angry?


It takes about 20 minutes for your thinking brain to switch back on. So remove yourself from the source of your anger. If it’s a person, say that you’ll have to talk about this later. Then to help your thinking brain turn back on, try a thinking game. Like spell your name backwards or go through the alphabets listing food or films or do a maths problem.


Usually when you go back to the issue and are not emotional about it, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal anymore.


I hope that may be of some help.



User Profile: dynamicJackfruit4752
dynamicJackfruit4752 February 4th, 2024

The best thing to do when you get angry is to take a deep breath and go to a different room,if you're fighting with someone...calm yourself and think about what you want to say to that person....

User Profile: MissAngel7
MissAngel7 March 4th, 2024

@lausau123 my best suggestion would be create a playlist. You can listen to when you are angry music tends to help me the most.

User Profile: IagoParis
IagoParis March 7th, 2024

@lausau123

Emotions are so complicated at times! What best works for my is to acknowledge them and to be compassionate. There is a saying about this. "Treat it like a crying baby. You cradle it with patience as much time as they need"

User Profile: victoriousHug82
victoriousHug82 May 5th, 2024

@lausau123 It's hard to see things as they are when we are overwhelmed by emotions.

I learnt sometime back that anxiety and relaxation cannot stay in us together at the same time. So I first try deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation to calm myself. Once I am relaxed, I think about situation, mood & thoughts that lead to me those emotions. Once I check how they are connected. this gives me much needed clarity to validate it & find suitable next steps. That usually brings me in control of my emotions. Hope this helps you. There are question templates and plan given in 7 cups anxiety guide that you can use for reference 

User Profile: TangerineIsAwesome
TangerineIsAwesome May 6th, 2024

@lausau123

hey, first of all, I want to tell you, it's really brave of you to seek for help and to try healthy coping methods. It's a great first steps. I have some tips that worked for me. I hope this can be helpful. 

1. Take Timeouts. When you feel that anger coming, give yourself short break. Get out of the room if you can, have some quiet time. It'll help you prepare to handle the stress and relax a bit. 

2. look for solutions. So this is us trying to be real and think about what we can and cannot change. If loud noise is the trigger, than try your headphone on. I know it's temporary, but for me it was a good way to stop me from acting without thinking. 

User Profile: VoloVonWolfePhd
VoloVonWolfePhd May 7th, 2024

@lausau123


This really hits home, I understand from some tough experiences myself just how hard it can be to keep one’s cool when anger strikes. But, I still think Ive found a few possible coping strategies.

First, and at the risk of sounding cliche, but, just taking a moment of pause and try to breathe deeply can make a big difference. It gives you a sort of break to collect yourself before anyy emotions have a chance to overflow. While doing this, or separately, progressively tensing and relaxing one’s muscles seems to also help

Another thing that might help is to try and channel those angry feelings into some kind of activity like possibly a bit of quick exercise. That can be helpful in the moment as one is driven by adrenaline. In this case, it’s really about finding a safe outlet where you can process the strong emotions without hurting yourself or others.

Beyond this, knowing what sets off your anger can really be useful; once you know your triggers, it can be easier to manage or even avoid situations that fire you up.

Hope it helps :)

User Profile: Fine101
Fine101 May 8th, 2024

@lausau123
I think it's pretty common among us these days but getting angry would sometimes ruin the relations, I think one of my colleagues wrote some good points so you can check that out.
https://www.7cups.com/forum/anxiety/General_2428/HowtoCalmanAnxietyAttackPracticalTipsandTechniques_311585/

User Profile: KindForest2094
KindForest2094 May 8th, 2024

For me what tends to help more is distraction until I can deal with the anger alone/with friends one thing that doesn't help are the anger headaches but mostly I try to get out of the situation and try to remind myself that either the persons opinion isn't worth me losing my cool or that they will never listen so I should leave them to their wrong opinion. Obviously this doesn't apply to moral arguments where someone is likely to do something morally wrong in that case I try to approach it in a different way. I wish you the best of luck with dealing with anger because I know it can be extremely frustrating and difficult to deal with : )