Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist?

User Profile: PetiteSara
PetiteSara May 3rd, 2017

Hi,

I'm curious to know about others experience with therapy. All sorts. I'm specifically curious about what kind of therapy works best for you and how many you've gone through to find the one that suit you the best.

Here's my story:

After having anxiety for a couple of years, I asked my mother if I could go see a doctor. She obliged and I went to my own doctor who then sent me to a psykologist. After seing her on a monthly basis for a year we both agreed that I would not be able to make any progress with her and she sent me to a psychiatrist. A few weeks after I started medication. After approximately 4 month of that she sent me to another clinic with a different psychologist and psychiatrist that recommended me to start group therapy. Here is where I started making progress. I'm in therapy with 6 other patients and 2 psychologists. We talk about everything that has to do with our own illness and are allowed to ask questions to each other too. Though it felt like the most scary thing in the world at first, it's been the best thing that has happened to my anxiety.

Thank you x

1
User Profile: ostrobogulousworld
ostrobogulousworld May 31st, 2017

@PetiteSara

It's really interesting to hear what sorts of therapy has helped you! It's just a good reminder (for anyone looking for therapy), how there's no one fit. I find myself recommending therapy to friends at times, but I think everyone has an idea of how all therapy is. Like how group therapy seems to have helped you best. For me, group therapy has been a bust! But my anxiety is different from your anxiety, which is different from whoever else's anxiety.

I saw a Social Worker for many years, along with a Nurse Practictioner for medication. This combination worked fantastically for when I was younger. Though as I've gotten a little older, I've felt that I enjoy the one on one therapy best, but also like that same person to be able to prescribe medication if possible. But I've had many combinations of people! I had therapy with a Ph.D student for a while, even, and she was fabulous.

Thanks for the post! Maybe we can get this thread goin' with some more stories!