Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Worried about switching hospitals. Does anyone else have experience with this? What was the process like?

User Profile: Marshmake
Marshmake May 11th, 2020

Since the day I was born until the day I turned 26, I went to the same exact hospital and I loved it there. I loved the doctors, I loved their care, I loved everything. But now I'm off my mom's insurance and my old hospital doesn't accept my work insurance.

It's been half a year since I had to leave my old hospital and I'm so scared about finding a new one that I haven't yet! Eventually I will have to go back to the doctors, but I'm so scared of the change. Will they have my old records? Will they be as caring and as understanding? Will their medicines all be different? I don't have any allergies to drugs as far as I know, but what if the new hospital uses different drugs and I get an allergic reaction? Has any of you had to switch hospitals? What was your experience like? What should I look out for?

3
User Profile: ynvrtsm
ynvrtsm April 10th, 2025

@Marshmake

That sort of transition can be utterly daunting, particularly when you've invested so much trust and familiarity with your old hospital. It's absolutely natural to be frightened and uncertain at the moment. Healthcare is so intensely intimate, and it's understandable that you should miss the loss of something that kept you feeling safe.

When you do finally decide to make that next move, perhaps you can attempt to have your previous medical records transferred, it could help alleviate some of those "what ifs." And don't forget, you are worthy of care that is gentle and compassionate. It may take a while to find the right fit once more, but you're not alone in this. You've already demonstrated so much courage by reaching out here. I hope other people also weigh in with their experiences, you have allies here.