being online makes me so anxious but it's also the only social outlet I have
I already don't have many social media accounts. there are some apps I refuse to use like instagram or snapchat, but most others I have an account even if I don't use it. but I feel so awful and anxious online. there's constantly people fighting and I'm always afraid of saying the wrong thing and getting into an argument. plus I get scared someone irl will find one of my social medias that I'm out of the closet on. there's so much more that makes me anxious when it comes to social media and I hate checking back to see who liked my posts, whos interacting with me, etc. I spend so much time on it and I'm not even having fun.
but on the other hand I literally have no other social outlets. I haven't had any friends for a little over 2 years now. seeing other people online is the closest I ever get to seeing how other people around my age think and interact. I'm already not good with social cues so I don't want to be entirely out of the loop. I don't really know what to do. I want to delete all my accounts because I dont like having a digital footprint at all and even though I dont post pictures of myself I know that family members of mine have snf knowing that people can google my name and have all this stuff pop up freaks me out. But I also know so much stuff takes place on social media and through the Internet that to delete all my things will not only draw attention to myself but leave me pretry isolated and I'm not sure what to do.
@itsrory
Hi, there! I hear you, social media can seem quite unpredictable in regards to having a digital footprint. In addition to this, having someone in real life find the social media that youve expressed parts of your life that people dont know about can definitely seem intimidating and nerve wracking, I understand why you feel this way. I also completely understand what you are saying about the possibility of isolation if you get rid of your social media accounts. It seems that people are always on social media and it makes sense that youre afraid of being out of the loop.
However, its about finding what makes you feel most comfortable and most secure in yourself and your life. Everyone has different views and opinions on social media and its about finding what the right fit for you is. Maybe you could talk to someone, perhaps a listener on here, and go over everything youre feeling to see if you could reach some sort of conclusion that way. Or, if youre someone who doesnt feel comfortable talking to people, whether it be anonymously or to someone you know, then perhaps you could write down everything youre feeling (similar to what you did on here) and see if that helps you figure out what youd prefer. Like I said, its about doing what feels most comfortable for you.
It can be really hard to make decisions like this as it can sometimes seem that there are as many negatives as there are positives or you just feel you're going around in a circle. Were all here for you in the anxiety community and there are many wonderful listeners on 7 Cups that may be able to help you in deciding what you want to do or to simply help you feel more relaxed and confident in the world of social media.
I hope youre able to come to a conclusion that you feel comfortable with. Take care!