Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxious about being around people—not sure what to do

User Profile: carefulWest9699
carefulWest9699 October 5th, 2018

Hi, Im new here. I have social anxiety and am working through some stuff, so I thought Id give 7 Cups a try. Right now, what Im dealing with is that Ive pretty much become kind of a recluse. I dont really get out much and the only people I interact with a lot are my family, but Ive gotten to a point where being out and talking to people isnt necessarily as hard it used to be. So I decided to try volunteering and I had an orientation at the Res Cross, but it was only being shown around the office and meeting a few people. Monday, Im going into the office, which will be busier than it was that day, and Ill be hanging around to help out with office stuff for a few hours and probably meeting more people, and Im getting super anxious that Ill be spending actual considerable time around total strangers with no real escape, and I dont want to back out because its actually a great opportunity and I dont want to feel like Im backing out because of my anxiety and Ive just failed at this and let people down. But Im going from speed walking through stores and occasional small talk to sitting and hanging out with potentially more people than Im used to for way longer than Im used to. And its freaking me out a little.

and Im not sure if this is even worth posting, but I guess I figured that Id give it a try. I dont really know who else to talk to who might get it.

3
User Profile: alyHSP
alyHSP October 7th, 2018

@carefulWest9699

hi! im new to 7 cups too, welcome :) i also suffer from social anxiety and am also pretty much a recluse. I never leave the house unless it is to go to my classes or go to work. I recently went through a really bad breakup from a long term relationship, and that person was basically my only friend for the past 6 years. Now that that relationship is over, I'm basically friendless, other than a best friend ive had since 7th grade that i only see once a month if that. Basically, i understand what youre going through and i'm sorry to hear you're going through it. I think it's really great that you took that step to volunteer for the red cross, that's a hard step to take to put yourself out there and i think that says something. Youre doing great. I think the first day will probably be a little scary, since everything is brand new. But after the first week you will settle in and (hopefully) be able to form some bonds there and your anxiety will slowly dissapear. I wish you the best of luck :)