I have social anxiety & most people don't
I discovered not long ago that my symptoms of hypervigilinace, extreme anxiety with crowds, and intimacy problems are direct consequences of social anxiety. I was diagnosed with depression on several occasions and through the years always felt there was an underlying issue. Only and I stress this, only when I talked to someone who experienced similar symptoms did I discover what I believe is the correct diagnosis, and likely has been the indirect cause of depression which I never feel has been a consistent issue for me.
The difficult part? I've been compared to people who are about to take a school exam, or more recently, claimed to completely overcome their social anxiety with "will power". Anyone who has experienced SA knows this is like comparing a drizzle to an F3 tornado, or willing something like cancer away. So, what are my options to truly overcome this?
@MidWhiteFlava
Oh boy do I relate. My boss trying to convince me my paranoia is irrational (yes I know paranoia is by definition and description irational). Everyone finds things that help anxiety. I know I feel better with a thorough plan in place. I don't plan my days to a T but I know how I plan to use them. When something interrupts it. I adjust and just roll with it til I can return to my plan. I know my social anxiety mostly flares around christmas luckily I layer that time of year anyways. Really just try to prepare. You can also talk to a therapist or get meds for some forms of anxiety.
@perpetualfear agreed but the shitty advice I get from people who never had SAD yet think they know how it feels, it's like a knife in the heart sometimes.
@MidWhiteFlava
That it is. My grandma once told me I was just faking.
@MidWhiteFlava
Same here. People have told me that I "choose" to feel this way and that I should just act "normal" 😔
@MidWhiteFlava
You're not alone 😊 I have social anxiety as well and I completely understand what you're saying. It's not something that you can will yourself to overcome in one day. I've had people tell me that it's a choice 🙄 it's obviously not because no one will really choice to feel like this if they knew what it entails. Just don't be too hard on yourself, know your limits, know your triggers and don't let anyone invalidate how you feel. You'll get through this ❤ and soon it will be easier to navigate through this storm.