Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I'm 23, have social anxiety, am unemployed and living with parents. Help me?

User Profile: navyLion1165
navyLion1165 November 24th, 2015

I could really use some advice on here...A little bit of background about me: I graduated from a prestigious college in May 2014, but since then I have been unable to find a job. Most of my classmates all have great jobs now, while I moved back home to the Midwest and lived there with my parents and my sister, who is in a similar situation as me. I wanted to switch to a different field of study from what I majored in, so I took some classes at a local university in the spring semester of this current year. I did well in my classes but I have pretty bad social anxiety so this entire time I have been mostly isolated from people aside from my family. However, I at least had a couple of friends from high school that I saw on occasion.

In September, my family moved to northern California and we live in a town where most people have jobs in the software development sector, which is the field I want to work in as well. I have been taking online classes to build up my skills, but I feel extremely isolated socially, because I literally have no one my age to talk to besides my sister. I also feel extremely embarrassed by my situation (the fact that I've never had a full-time job at 23 and still live with my parents). Many of the other people who live in the apartment complex where we live are close to my age, but they have jobs and are living on their own or with significant others from what I observed. I feel particularly embarrassed when I walk outside with my mom or dad and pass by one of our neighbors. I can barely make eye contact with them because I feel so embarrassed by what they might think of me if they knew how old I am and that I don't have a job.

I really want to get out there and socialize, and I have considered going to meetups to network with people or to make friends. However, the thought of socializing also makes me really anxious because I don't know what I would say when people ask me what I do for a living. I feel that there are no other people in a similar situation as me in this town. I want to find a job, whatever job it is, that gets me exposure to interacting with people. But there are some obstacles for me in finding a job even at a coffee shop or in retail. One is that even these jobs often ask for prior experience or references, neither of which I have. My other problem is that I am very petite in stature, and people often think I am still in high school (or sometimes they even think I am in middle school) and on top of this I am shy and relatively soft-spoken so it is hard for me to get taken seriously.

Additionally, I can't talk to my parents about my shyness/anxiety because they don't understand (and they have never really understood it in the past either). They yell at me that they can't understand why I don't just go out there and meet people. I want to see a therapist face-to-face to discuss my problems, but I don't know of any services that are free. While I am grateful that my parents are still letting me live with them, I feel absolutely stuck in life right now and don't know what to do...I just want a job and some good friends/support network of peers who are my age.

I know this was a long post but I have a couple of main questions for you guys: If I go to meetups, what should I tell people when they ask me what I do? Should I tell them I'm unemployed, living with parents and looking for a job? Or should I tell them something else? Also, are there any places in the bay area that offer face-to-face social anxiety counseling services for free? I'm asking because there is no way my parents would be willing to spend money on therapy for me...

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

1
User Profile: SilverWaterfall
SilverWaterfall November 24th, 2015

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this *hugs*. I also have social anxiety, so I understand how difficult you may find your current position. You may be interested in reading this guide to find out more about social anxiety and some coping techniques https://www.7cups.com/social-anxiety/ . Also, in the case of employment, it would depend on your personality, yet what I tried to improve socially was to build it up in steps, for example, try working with animals first, then maybe young children and slowly build it up until you are comfortable with talking to others. In regard to your questions, when you go to meetups, try your best to socialise (I know it's hard *hugs*) and tell them what you are comfortable with discussing. And regarding counseling services, you may find this useful: https://therapists.psychologytoday.com . Good luck, and I hope you have a great day! *hugs* :D