Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Social anxiety has stopped me from becoming who I want to be

User Profile: 46beesbees46
46beesbees46 August 26th, 2021

Since I left uni two years ago, I’ve come to realise I force myself to meet the expectations people already have of me. Because of this it feels impossible to change how I behave, act or carry myself around anyone. This is painful when I realised I only go along with how other people act anyway so people only see an anxious reflection of themselves in me.


I need to be more than this. I’m trying to change my whole style rn I just need help in finding courage to do it.




3
User Profile: wonderfulRainbow817
wonderfulRainbow817 August 27th, 2021

Hello @46beesbees46! I understand on how social anxiety can make life harder at times. I am a shy person so I struggled tremendously with it. The fix? Honestly, it was 7 Cups. I took on a listener role and was encouraged to try out some new roles. I started with the internship which was fun. It challenged me to be more social. I also participated in the leadership program. Between these roles and academic courses I really began to open up. Sometimes we just need to take a deep breath and take a leap of faith. It can be scary at times but deep down we all have this connection need to others. Life is so much more fun with friends and hanging out. I wish I had become more social years ago. I want you to know we are all here to support you and cheer you on! You're an amazing person and I know that you will eventually get there! Keep pushing forward!heart

Since I left uni two years ago, I’ve come to realise I force myself to meet the expectations people already have of me. Because of this it feels impossible to change how I behave, act or carry myself around anyone. This is painful when I realised I only go along with how other people act anyway so people only see an anxious reflection of themselves in me.

User Profile: Eudaimonia99
Eudaimonia99 August 29th, 2021

@46beesbees46

Be ourselves is hard, especially when we only pay attention to other people. Meeting other's expectations makes us lost ourselves. Everyone is unique, no matter what you are, there must be someone out there who can understand you and like you. So follow your heart to chase the way you like to be. You can make it!

User Profile: sensibleField6082
sensibleField6082 August 31st, 2021

@46beesbees46
Hi I'm totally new to this, but I immediately saw your post. I also have struggled with social anxiety disorder for years, and I only now realize how much it has prevented me from being authentically myself. I think all of us humans in our culture and society struggle with this, but those with social anxiety have it far more severe. We never feel like we can be ourselves. Showing ourselves to the world feels too terrifying. I think we can slowly start to show bits and pieces of ourselves to the world, but this takes time. I truly hope you find the ability to do this because the world wants to know the real you. We don't need any more human clones. Start with something small and you'll get there. Best of luck. :)