Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Stopped by to speak to my friend

User Profile: braindamag3
braindamag3 June 19th, 2025

Here at work, I am in one of the few remaining offices.
I went out of my way to drop by and yap with my only friend in the building. She sits in an area that is wide open, hoteling desks everywhere.

My social Anxiety went through the roof in the hour we spent yapping. 

I also think my anxiety was partially caused by the thought of another person who was my only other friend but I walked away from looking over my shoulder. She sits about 50 feet away with clear line of sight to my back where I sat.

That was this morning and still hours later, I'm so much on edge.

4
User Profile: Creamyyy
Creamyyy June 19th, 2025

@braindamag3 social anxiety can be crippling at times. Sometimes the mind exaggerates so much. Take a deep breath. 💛

User Profile: braindamag3
braindamag3 OP June 22nd, 2025

Ever since work has been renovating and opening up all areas to hoteling style seating, my anxiety has worsened.

The thought of loosing my sanctuary (office) in September has been eating away at me. I will have no choice but to book a desk in the petri dish (I have become a germaphobe since Covid)

I am the only one out of almost 1000 employees to still wear a mask.

User Profile: Priyapjw1
Priyapjw1 November 30th, 2025

@braindamag3That sounds really draining. You pushed yourself to be social, and your body stayed in alert mode even after the moment passed. That does not mean you did anything wrong. Social anxiety can stay in the background for hours.


It can help to take a few minutes somewhere quiet, breathe slowly, and remind yourself you are safe now. You are allowed to take breaks after social situations. You are allowed to protect your energy. What you felt is normal for people with anxiety, and it will settle.

1 reply
User Profile: braindamag3
braindamag3 OP November 30th, 2025

@Priyapjw1

Thank you Priya, even though this happened a few months ago your words are comforting.

While at work my anxiety continues to rule me, these days it seems that walking and listening to music during my lunch hour is the only thing that calms me down.

load more