Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What triggered/caused your social anxiety?

User Profile: Daydreamer47
Daydreamer47 August 16th, 2016

Hi all,

I know there are some people who have had SA for a long time. My situation is interesting because I was very outgoing until middle school when my personality drastically shifted. Is this common?

My family is also super quiet/awkward, so I wonder if quiet families are common among people with SA too?

D

4
User Profile: professionalPerspective60
professionalPerspective60 August 16th, 2016

@Daydreamer47

Hey,

Id say for me, my anxieties have been caused through life events, things which I had no control over and have been working very hard to manage these, it's not easy lol, but mostly manageable. The thing with anxiety, as you probable know, quite often the build up to an event is far more worrying then actually attending, in some cases anyway!!

The family thing is a hard one, because in my real life, I'm the one family members turn to, I seem to be on this pedestal of being a strong character, when some days, I'm feeling the complete opposite. I keep myself to myself these days, avoid the family gathering if I can, worry about them if I can't, it's a cycle, but manageable for now.

Its a working progress haha! Hope your well.

User Profile: ListeningEar924
ListeningEar924 August 17th, 2016

@Daydreamer47 I would definitely say that my SA started at a young age! I was always ignored, or told I was weird when I wasn't being ignored. My childhood was a little rough, from being the middle child always being forgotten to being afraid to make friends in school because i thought I was awkward. No child should have to go through that, but here I am still pushing through being awkward as ever, but i just embrace my awkwardness! lol smileyheart

User Profile: HLAlone
HLAlone August 17th, 2016

Hearing my friends talk behind my back and also how I realised they were bad friends because I did everything for them and they have done nothing and are unloyal, and when I stopped hanging out with them they didn't even try and re contact me.

not to mention I am shy and have lack of self esteem and confidence in myself.