Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to get a diagnosis? (Preferably that I could afford and have without my parents being involved)

User Profile: TeaIsDelicious
TeaIsDelicious 1 day ago

I’m not diagnosed with autism, my parents believe I have it, and I have shown signs through the years of having it, however, my parents don’t want me taking the assessment because they don’t want me labeled. My argument to this is that if I have it I would be able to accommodate for it, they still don’t exactly care.

Right now, my plan is to try and get the assessment when I’m 18 and moved out, since they said they’re fine with me doing that since I’d be an adult, however, I have heard that people who try and get the assessment that are older are less likely to get a diagnosis even if they have it just because of the assessors and stuff.

My question is:

Should I try and ask them more for that assessment? (I know if I push hard enough they’ll let me get it)

Or

Is there anyway to get an assessment online or without insurance?

Or

Would I just be fine waiting until I’m 18?

Either way, I’ll be fine with or without the diagnosis, I’d rather know I don’t have it than have it and not know.

Any advice is welcome!

6
User Profile: AsherTree
AsherTree 1 day ago

@TeaIsDelicious

We're not allowed to give advice but I will say if you have autism the test will tell you..

It's unfortunate that your parents are standing in your way..

You deserve to know the truth..

Thanks for reaching out to us..🌲

User Profile: TeaIsDelicious
TeaIsDelicious OP 1 day ago

Ohh, I didn’t know you weren’t allowed to respond to that, my apologies!

This is my first time posting here, I will edit it if I can then

User Profile: AsherTree
AsherTree 14 hours ago

@TeaIsDelicious 

You can discuss this with a listener and they can assist you in coming up with your own ideas so you can be better prepared to make a decision..🌲

User Profile: TeaIsDelicious
TeaIsDelicious OP 14 hours ago

Oo! Okay!! Thank you!!!

load more
load more
load more

@TeaIsDelicious 

I guess the question is, would having a dignoses change or improve your quality of life in any drastic way? Then go from there. 

User Profile: TeaIsDelicious
TeaIsDelicious OP 1 day ago

So, I can’t figure out how to edit this if that’s possible, but someone commented saying they weren’t allowed to give advice, I assume that’s a rule of here so please don’t for this then! I was just curious and would much rather you guys not get in trouble than me have replies :3