Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Does this sound like I could have bipolar disorder as well as my autism?

User Profile: greenCar4860
greenCar4860 February 18th

I was diagnosed with mild Intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorder. Could I be bipolar 2 as well? My phycyatrist refused to diagnose me with it because my depression doesn't last more than 2 weeks. My depression lasts 5 days most of the time my depression is triggered by something. Then the next day I think I am hypomanic again when I am hypomanic I have increase sex drive talk quickly like pressured speech and walk quickly and spend a lot of money. I also stay up late till 1 AM most of the time and get very little sleep but wake up energized. Usually with Bipolar people get less sleep and I fit this pattern. I have an impulsive control problem while most autistic people don’t have this problem. Like for my impulse control problem I crave sex more then usual and have sex with random guys out of impulse. I don’t stim but I have most symtoms of autism like not being able to read people’s intentions or body language. Does this sound like I could be bipolar 2 also

1
User Profile: MHAdvocate
MHAdvocate February 19th

@greenCar4860

Hi there! It will be important to consult a professional that knows you and your history to get an accurate diagnosis. Many of the symptoms you mentioned (difficulty with sleep and impulsivity) are very commonly seen in those with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. There are also other contributing factors that would need to be ruled out before a diagnosis of Bipolar 2 can be made. 

Hope this helps. 💚