Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do I tell my therapist that I believe I’m bipolar (type 2)? Need answers ASAP.

User Profile: autumnalpaca
autumnalpaca February 7th, 2021

I have an appointment with my therapist after not seeing her for ~1 year (due to COVID) and I’ve finally recognized my own bipolar which has definitely gotten worse since quarantine started. I have no clue how to bring into the conversation that I believe I’m bipolar. How do I just mention that? I don’t want to just say “hey I think I’m bipolar. Took some tests online” as I know that professionals in the medical community generally dislike self-diagnosing. What exactly should I say to start this conversation? I’m having major anxiety over this (diagnosed with general anxiety) and I keep almost talking myself out of it, but I know things are going to get worse if I don’t tell my therapist what’s happening.

4
User Profile: LavenderLunaa
LavenderLunaa February 7th, 2021

Two things : Bipolar disease isn’t diagnosed with tests, it is a possibility that the tests say “you are suffering from bipolar disease” when you actually are not. Given the pandemic associated stressful situations i am pretty sure the tests will be positive for a lot of people who aren’t actually suffering from bipolar disorder.Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder which requires certain clinical criteria to be met over a long course of time Second : if you feel you’re bipolar, you can bring it up like “ Dr. lately I have been negatively occupied by the thought that i might be suffering from bipolar disorder” if they ask “why do you feel this, you can mention the tests I am sorry if i came of as condescending and rude :( Hope this helps ❤️ Good luck 🌺

1 reply
User Profile: autumnalpaca
autumnalpaca OP February 8th, 2021

Not at all condescending or rude! And I’ve felt like this prior to quarantine too, but it’s definitely gotten worse since it started. Thank you for the suggestions!

load more
User Profile: IamJustme13
IamJustme13 February 7th, 2021

@autumnalpaca You could maybe bring it up by saying something like, "I am wondering if I might have Bipolar Disorder?What are your thoughts on that?" I wish you the best of luck & I will keep you in my prayers.

1 reply
User Profile: autumnalpaca
autumnalpaca OP February 8th, 2021

Thank you so much for the help!

load more