Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

self esteem drop after psychosis and hospitalization

I have bipolar 2 and I recently had my first episode involving psychotic features. I was living in my room afraid to make any noise because I believed my roommates had a secret groupchat they were using to try to get me kicked out. I stopped eating and sleeping and I lost ten pounds and ended up months behind on rent. I started seeing random objects in strange places; i was taking a shower and I saw my phone in the water right next to me and tried to grab it. I was hospitalized and I see now that i was in psychosis but I’m struggling to believe that I’m worth recovery.

My roommates have been so kind but I feel like the worst person on earth and I’m afraid to talk to them, even though I know they aren’t aware of the delusions I was having about them. My self esteem has taken a real beating and it’s sinking in that I’m the kind of mentally ill that makes people uncomfortable and less likely to interact with. I’m so deeply ashamed of being pink slipped for the second time this year and I’m just so lost. I would never think this about anyone else but I feel so guilty of having a disorder with psychotic features and I’m too ashamed to clue anyone I know in because I feel like I don’t deserve love and support anymore.

3
User Profile: AsherTree
AsherTree 19 hours ago

@thoughtfulraindrop3

I'm sorry to hear you suffered from psychosis and your embarrassed.  You shouldn't be ashamed for getting Psychosis.  Your brain went haywire, it's not your fault you had these unfortunate thoughts.  

Refocus now that you are on solid ground and meet your future challenges head on.. I imagine your worried it might happen again.. it could.. but your illness isn't what defines you. You define you.

Good luck 🌲 

2 replies
User Profile: thoughtfulraindrop3
thoughtfulraindrop3 OP 19 hours ago

@AsherTree

I really appreciate that, thank you. There was a sign at the hospital that said “In spite of my illness I can live a full, happy and successful life”. I want to believe that.

1 reply
User Profile: AsherTree
AsherTree 18 hours ago

@thoughtfulraindrop3

Your on the right track! Onto glory! 🌲1Rbg7tRU.gif

load more
load more