Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Do I have a chance of leading a good life? (TW: Suicidal Ideation)

User Profile: Aqualio
Aqualio April 28th, 2020

I'm not sure if this is okay to post. If not, please take it down.

I often feel like my life circumstances damn me to a life not worth living. I've had schizophrenia since I was 8 and only got treatment for it when I started hearing voices at 16, which I worry having gone untreated for so long makes my prospects worse. I was "homeschooled" by my mother and she didn't teach me anything, so as a 20 year old adult I have no education beyond the most basic knowledge that I've acquired by myself, and I have severe ADD, so learning what I need to now as an adult is extremely difficult. I'm not exactly low functioning, but my illness causes enough problems that I don't know if I'll ever be able to work a normal job and support myself independant of welfare.

I feel like I have so much ridiculous circumstances piled against me and I don't believe I'll ever be happy enough to feel like my life is worth living. I often feel suicidal because of it and have no hope for my future.

Schizophrenia doesn't run in my family so I have no examples of a schizophrenic person's life in my life and I don't know of any schizophrenic people that led good lives that are famous.

For those of you reading who have schizophrenia, what are your lives like? Are you happy? What are some of the good and bad things you have to deal with? I need some examples of people with my illness leading normal lives. Thank you in advance.

12
User Profile: RarelyCharlie
RarelyCharlie April 28th, 2020

@Aqualio As it happens I know someone (in real life) who developed schizophrenia when he was young, wasn't diagnosed for many years, and now seems to have completely recovered. Recovery was gradual, and it did not involve medication. Research shows that many people do recover, and some research suggests that medication might make recovery slower (but this is controversial).

Looking for famous people who have schizophrenia, or who once had and have now recovered, is difficult because now that they're famous they mostly don't want to damage their public image by admitting to suffering serious mental illness in the past.

Searching the Internet, I found this article that tells the stories of some people who had schizophrenia but did well in life anyway: Recovering From Schizophrenia Not Rare

ADD and lack of formal education do not always hold people back either. Again, searching the Internet I found: Famous People with ADHD and also ADHD: The Entrepreneur's Superpower

So, considering the evidence that's out there, I do think you have a very good chance of leading a good life even though your life has been a struggle in many ways, and, realistically, is likely to continue to be.

If you'd ever like to chat about these things, feel free to click on my profile picture and message me.

Charlie

2 replies
User Profile: Aqualio
Aqualio OP April 30th, 2020

@RarelyCharlie Thank you for your input. That first article actually made me feel a lot better. I do take medication actually, and I'm curious what research shows it slows progress? I'd really like to know now.

1 reply
User Profile: RarelyCharlie
RarelyCharlie April 30th, 2020

@Aqualio I am thinking of this, for example: Antipsychotics/Schizophrenia

And this: Rethinking Antipsychotics

Charlie

load more
load more
User Profile: Happy900
Happy900 April 29th, 2020

@Aqualio Thanks for sharing.

User Profile: healingtalk123
healingtalk123 April 29th, 2020

I know of a few people that have experienced schizophrenia and are now living rich and fulfilling lives. It doesn't have to be a life sentance. Medication is a controversial topic. All I can say is that I've seen people recover with and without medication. I think taking good care of ourselves is important. Also finding things to do that are fulfilling. We've all got strengths and talents and it's very important that we feel like we have a purpose. Some people find purpose through their jobs and volunteer work. Others might find purpose through hobbies or activities that make them feel good. Also exploring meditation and mindfulness might help.

User Profile: ShadowTag
ShadowTag April 29th, 2020

I really want to post to this thread, I'm going to try because I think it's really important for us to express ourselves. I've been thinking about this thread and how much I can relate to you right now.

For my entire life people have been calling me "odd, shy, weird, disabled," whatever you name it. I went to a public school where all my teachers thought i didn't know anything because I never talked. I sat there and did nothing for hours. I didn't do any work. All the students thought I was stupid. Didn't even think i could talk, let alone hear them. So everyone talked bad about me while I was sitting there. I understood them, yes I did. I knew what they were saying but i couldn't move from my seat. It was like i was stuck there. Noise everywhere. I couldn't handle all of this. Over time things got worse for me I lost the ability to concentrate my mind couldn't stop racing I had panic attacks every day i couldn't sleep i didnt eat i felt like no one really existed. I thought that they were pretending to be human. I thought they were "monsters" like i was being hunted down by everyone for something I had inside of me. It's a long story. I felt I wasn't meant to be here and that my family wasn't my real family. I heard my real family's voices convincing me to get away. That I have been kidnapped from them. I didn't know who I was. It's overwhelming to write all of this I'm sorry. There is so much that happened in my life i've always struggled even now to be present. I cried a lot and its ok to cry. My mind is already getting mixed up everywhere im going to cry writing this. I have a lot of bad days but you know all of the bad teaches me that ive made it despite all of this happening to me. I don't work I don't have a job I haven't finished school yet but i need little steps at a time in order to do my goals. Don't give up you can sitll achieve your goals too. If you want to talk more just reply and I'll explain in more detail I was just getting kind of overwhelmed writing this all.

2 replies
User Profile: Aqualio
Aqualio OP April 30th, 2020

@ShadowTag I'm so sorry about what you've been through. Thank you for taking the time to respond even though it hurt you so badly. My heart aches for you. I've felt like my family weren't my family too. I've been convinced they're actors and I'm in a reality show. I hear voices that back up my delusion the way you do as well. If you want to talk, feel free to message me. I think we could both use the support.

1 reply
User Profile: ShadowTag
ShadowTag April 30th, 2020

@Aqualio

One of us has to be a listener account in order to private message but we can talk on the forums if you want.

load more
load more
User Profile: Aqualio
Aqualio OP April 30th, 2020

Also, just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry mods!

User Profile: AleahMay15
AleahMay15 April 30th, 2020

Sometimes I wish a tornado

Would blow the roof off

And clear it down to the foundation

When the clouds clear

And the sun shines again

I can rebuild

A stronger house

1 reply
User Profile: ShadowTag
ShadowTag April 30th, 2020

@AleahMay15

Thank you for sharing that, I understand you.

load more
User Profile: Angelkryptonite
Angelkryptonite July 11th, 2020

@Aqualio

I'm on disability but it's not enough for me to live on my own plus I can't drive because of seizures. So I live with my parents. I came down with encephalitis in 2017 and I'm still recovering.