Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is the social stigma surrounding mental health?

User Profile: Tazzie
Tazzie August 12th, 2018

3
User Profile: stydia
stydia July 6th, 2019

From a personal perspective, my own family frowns upon mental illness, doesn't talk about it, doesn't deal with it and treats it as an undesirable trait or an actual disease to stay away from. It's something "we don't talk about" and it gets swept under the rug. I have posttraumatic stress disorder and my mom keeps saying I don't when it's pretty clear to my family that something horrible happened to me when I was a teenager and they keep saying I'm different. But they don't want to call it a mental illness, instead they blame me and say I "changed" when the evidence is right here and I'm traumatized. My grandpa was shocked when I came out about having it and generalized anxiety and he exclaimed, "You have a MENTAL ILLNESS?????? You'll have to go to a psych ward now" and it's so disgusting. They talk about people suffering or neurodivergent people in general like they need to be "put away" and barred from society. It's absolutely dehumanizing.