Do depressing songs/artists make you feel worse or better?
I listen to mostly 20th century rock/indie/alt and some current music and I have pondered on this question forever.
When I listen to songs that are sad or are about sad topics (for example, La Dispute), in the moment I feel better because not only is rock music especially awesome but the lyrics make me feel less alone, I am relating with someone like Jordan Dreyer but when I stop listening to it, I feel awful, I'm not sure whether this is just because my happy endorphins are gone and I'm back to how I feel without the escapism or whether it's almost like a come down, surrounding myself with negative songs ultimately making me feel negative about life?
Anyone have similar experiences?
@IronicSarcasm I think it's not the song that make us feel upset rather the memories we have with the song. For an example there is a song that always make me feel sad no matter when I listen to it mostly because it holds memories of me and my ex.
@IronicSarcasm I guess it just releases your emotions and it really makes you think deeply about everything that has gone wrong/right in your life. Gosh, it's amazing what music can do to you *shivers* lol
@IronicSarcasm
I think it depends . :P
But the good things I know is that no matter it makes you feel better or worse, it touches you. And if you can feel touched, you still have feeling, and you are on the way of understanding yourself. Sometimes it makes as feel worse becasue it's just part of the journey we have to go through to reach healing. And if we try to understand ourselves more during the journey, we'll find a way out. !!
the music I listen to basically expresses emotions I can't explain or don't talk about so in th moment I'm emotional but overall it helps me a lot because it expresses what I can't and it's comforting to know that I have music if that makes sense