Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

One relationship in my life that makes me sad is......

User Profile: Laura
Laura February 8th, 2018

One relationship in my life that makes me sad is......

653
User Profile: raspberryCat5980
raspberryCat5980 April 7th, 2019

@Laura My relationship with my parents. My mom was raised by an emotionally (and tbh I think physically) abusive father who disowned her, and while I know that a lot of the things she did to me as a kid were carried over from that, it really didn't change the fact that it still hurt when she said I would fail, or called me fat, or literally stood on my toes, put her nose to my face, and spat on me saying 'Back Down.' I have come to know that in order to live with her I have to distance myself from her and treat her like a distant relative, but it's hard. I'm going to college in another state basically across the country in less than 3 months, and I can't ask her for help or questions because it costs too much. Then there's dad. I guess the worst thing about my relationship with him is lack of trust(?) Like, I say I wanna cook a recipe one of the women made at my work that I know he would love. I send him the ingredients, and then he comes home with entirely different things because he doesn't want it to taste like 'cardboard' and 'it's okay we'll make it together', like, no, that's not what I wanted or needed. If I want to cut my hair because of the damage and get a new style, he says that's great but when he sees how short it will be, he says I'll look like a dyke, and belittles it. I can see in a way where he's coming from (not wanting to ruin a meal or make bad first impressions) but it's the total lack of just.... I don't know. It makes me just want to say 'whatever' and not even do anything because OBvIoSLy, I can't do anything right. It saps any good mood I have for the day.

User Profile: AbbyHarris1976
AbbyHarris1976 April 8th, 2019

Its difficult for me to make true and long lasting friendships because in todays world, a lot of people tend to prefer pleasure follies which are unstable, short lived, and usually end up with everyone involved (or most, anyway) getting hurt).

As a result, my attempts at making friends seem to end soon after beginning because it seems people think Im boring, too sensitive, and they dont want to take the friendship to a deeper level

2 replies
User Profile: PatchworkQuilt76
PatchworkQuilt76 April 8th, 2019

@AbbyHarris1976 I have a similar problem with friendships. I think at some point, the meaning of friendship turned into basically being acquaintances. I'm sure you're none of the things you listed. Good luck 😊

1 reply
User Profile: AbbyHarris1976
AbbyHarris1976 April 8th, 2019

@PatchworkQuilt76

I am a highly sensitive person (HSP) but thats really more of a trait rather than a problem or issue and although being highly sensitive can make it difficult to have many friends, you have more friends that are true and loyal. 🙂

I am thankful to have made good friends here on 7 Cups and have begun getting out there with meal MeetUps in Chicago and finding friends that way, as well! 👍😊

I think its becoming more of a case of knowing where to look to find friends who are more likely to stay 🙂

load more
load more
User Profile: sociableTiger1633
sociableTiger1633 April 8th, 2019

My wife, she was my best friend now she only will talk to me when she feels like it.. I am not supposed to call here because my depression rubs off on her. So she calls once a week to ask for money and a little info on our son.

User Profile: sociableYard7879
sociableYard7879 April 14th, 2019

None of my relationships make me sad. It