Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do you wish those not hard of hearing or not deaf knew about hearing loss?

User Profile: Jill7Cups
Jill7Cups January 3rd, 2019

From your daily interactionsin public to your friends and loved ones, what do you wish people knew?

6
User Profile: PinkDahlia22
PinkDahlia22 January 4th, 2019

@Jill7cups

I wish people knew how much you need them to just understand how it will take you a little bit longer than the average person, the awarness and understnading is key i think x

3 replies
User Profile: Jill7Cups
Jill7Cups OP January 4th, 2019

@JoyIntoDarkness that is so true, sometimes people need a little extra care or time to communicate and that is okay. Do you find people get impatient? Is it because they don't realize or because they aren't being very empathetic?

2 replies
User Profile: PinkDahlia22
PinkDahlia22 January 4th, 2019

@Jill7cups

Yes they are impatient but this is probably because they dont understand x

1 reply
User Profile: Jill7Cups
Jill7Cups OP January 4th, 2019

@JoyIntoDarkness it is a great reminder to us all to not be so reactive when we encounter someone who doesn't communicate exactly in our own style.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: MsBrownieBee
MsBrownieBee March 28th, 2019

1. That unlike glasses which can give you 20/20 vision, hearing aids do not give perfect hearing ability. That, for me anyway, if there is any kind of distortion, like an accent or a speech impediment, I have difficulty understanding speech.

2. That you must say my name first to get my attention.

3. That I am listening as hard as I can and it is exhausting.

4. That if we are in a noisy environment, unless I have my special microphone, I cannot distinguish one particular sound from another.

5. That if you stand behind me to see if I "really have a hearing impairment," you are a jerk.

6. That when I pause before responding after you've spoken, it's not because I did not hear you at all; it's because my brain is using context and memory in order to find the meaning of what you said. Please be patient with me.

7. That saying, "Huh?" as a joke when I disclose my hearing loss it not funny. Not one bit.

User Profile: MsBrownieBee
MsBrownieBee March 28th, 2019

Also, that I did not choose hearing loss, it's not my fault, so don't take your frustration out on me.