Am I being manipulated
Hi everyone,
I come from a large family and since I remember I’ve always help my mother with grand issues as a teenager from taking care of my disabled brother, to being at my mothers side for 18 whole chemotherapy sessions, always wanting to make her happy, now that I’m married, she’s with my two younger siblings, she always expects me to be with her and do things for her and with her, and my husband to be around all the time because we are borrowing her car, my husband was away for work and I stayed away from him and stayed by my mothers side for a whole 3 weeks, now that I have left her side she is being cold, how should I be feeling? It makes me sad I feel I have tried to keep her happy for too long and now I should convince my self to not care
@conscientiousapple6191
It sounds like you've been a devoted companion and support to you mother for a long time and that you have continued to offer her support even now that you are married. I admire your courage and strength. I imagine it was hard for you growing up to be a caretaker for your brother, your family, all the while being the rock your mom could lean on. Are you able to talk with your husband about how you are feeling? Has he communicated with you about how he is feeling? Would you both be able to start creating some boundaries with your mom together? Having boundaries doesn't mean pushing her out of your life. Boundaries are uniquely personal but, in general, they are there to help with your personal well being. What is one boundary you would perhaps like to start setting with your mom? Boundaries may feel uncomfortable to you at first but it's okay to prioritize your life with your husband and your wellbeing, too.