Caregiving
My father has a terminal disease. It is very overwhelming and I feel like no one else is willing to be involved from our family. I feel like a cup of water filled just to the brim and every day it's a struggle to not let something make it overflow. It's the most emotionally and financially difficult thing I have experienced. My mother passed suddenly and I have not had to experienced this long amount of time dealing with sickness and grief before. How do you not let it take over your life?
Hello,
It helps to talk about it and cry. When you’re sad, cry. I took care of my mother when I was 12. I dissociated but when I began healing, crying was my best medicine. I found strength in crying. Sometimes you just need to empty your cup and try not to let it overflow again. (Easier said than done).
i’m not sure I can offer good enough advice on finances, but asking for help doesn’t hurt. Set up gofundme pages and reach out to local support groups that may be able to help raise money and/or get your family meals. Religious parties are very ready to help those in need, but I understand not wanting to reach out to them specifically.
In Oregon, my older brother also applied for social security benefits to be my mothers caretaker. I’m not sure what kind of money he saw, but he did get paid for staying at home, taking care of my mother. I’m also not sure how it works state to state.
I hope you can find peace at least once a day. It’s so hard and it’s okay that it’s hard. Tell them you love them and know that you are trying your best. Be kind to yourself in these times. Allow yourself space for understanding.
@orangeTriangle4803 Taking care of our parents especially when they are sick is really mentally and physically overwhelming. And on top of that, you have no one to share your pain with. I'm really sorry to hear this.
I hope your dad overcome this and feel better soon. While taking care of your father please make sure to take care of yourself. Go to appointments regularly and educate yourself with the information about the illness. If it's too much to handle if you like get some help with home care for a while.
Though life is hard we are stronger than this. I hope everything will be alright soon ❤️ Take care!