Coming to the realization parents are slowing down
Hello everyone ... my name is Annie. I'm pretty sure that there are others on here that are experiencing what I am experiencing. I just want to know how they were able to accept reality and cope with it. My parents are in their 80's. My dad is 82 and my mom 80. It's hard for me to wrap my head around let alone accept that my parents are "getting old" and slowing down. They are going to the doctors more and more to make sure everything is okay which I know is good. But my dad has been having some health issues. He is getting his sugar checked, kidneys, gout treated and most recently his eyesight is getting bad. He can't see very well even with his glasses on. He's already had one eye appt but he has another one before they actually schedule him for eye surgery which is what I'm freaking out about. My dad has always been the strong male figure in our family. But last week, he called me to tell me is scared of driving far now. What brough this phone call from him to me on is my mom was asking him take her to the Golden Gate Bridge so they can take a walk. My dad had told her he didn't want to and it's not that he didn't want to, he is afraid because he hasn't been to the Golden Gate Bridge in along time. He needs to see the signs in order for him to get there which is what he cannot see. My mom assumed it was because he didn't want to take her but when in reality he is afraid to drive that far. I told him he should tell my mom what he was feeling but he didn't want to. I offered to tell her for him but he didn't want that either because he didn't want my mom to think that he comes to me to talk about "stuff." My dad has never told me that he was afrad of anything until now. This is the first time. Now my mom ... she is slowing down as well. She cannot walk as fast as she used to AND she has issues with balance. We now have to guide her when she is walking especially on stairs and street curbs. She's never had trouble walking before but now she does. I've only noticed it in the last few months. I've told them both that they should use a cand or a motorized cart but they both refuse ... PRIDE. And that is fine. It's me that doesn't seem to want to accept the reality of it all. I've tried and like I said ... I just can't accept or get my head wrapped around the truth. I'm in denial. I've been hiding from my husband and my kids so that I can cry in the corner. There are other things that are making me anxious but this by far is top of the list. How did you all accept this? And how did you all cope with it? I look forward to your responses .... Thank you.
Dear country, I'm so sorry your dealing with this. I understand. It's very difficult to watch parents getting older and becoming frail/ needy. My father had LBD and passed 7 yrs ago. I won't lie to you it was one of the most devastating times for me. My relationship with him was messy. He knew when it wasn't safe for him to drive and was concerned about my mom's safety so he gave up driving. It was about 7 years of my mom stepping up so to speak driving and caring for him and of course my sibs and I also. I just took it one day at a time and got help when we needed it. I shared with my hub and kids about my sadness over his failing. My kids are adults so they could help and did so, my hub was very helpful driving me back and forth alot. I looked at the situation as it was - difficult but there's no choice because I had no real control. I just did what I could, helped when I could, enjoyed when I could. Now my mom's got LBD and is being cared for by hired medical help until we find the best situation for her. I actually went to see her today. We enjoyed the day, some sun, lunch and a short walk. I don't live close but I do what I can . I call her when I can. It's distressing because I've been down this road before. I have a serious anxiety issue on top of all this. ( I have meds for it)...Take care of yourself first so you can be strong to help them . Ask for help when you need it. Pride is hard to get by, but safety is #1 . Just remind them your concerned for safety's sake. Denial is a safety mechanism for you because it's so painful. Time helps me to accept some. There's no real answer I guess, just go one day at a time..... I hope my post helps you in some way and know that I'm here doing the same thing, 💜ABB
Hello amia 🥰. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. I have to admit ... I am so scared of losing both of them. I haven't had good life experiences and my parents were with me every step of the way up until I got married for the second time to my current husband. They wanted to make sure that I wasn't alone if and when they both go. I'm lucky to say I have a very supportive and family oriented husband. Anyway ... I am trying to accept and cope with it all. And I'm spending and doing things with them as much as I am able. I live a little over an hour from them but my job is only 20 min from them which I am thankful for because I can at least visit with them a couple of times a week. They even come to my job and bring me home cooked lunches 🥰. So I do consider myself fortunate that my job is close by them. ❤️❤️❤️