Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Cut ties or Mend bonds?

User Profile: RescuePassion94
RescuePassion94 April 29th, 2021

Thanksgiving 2020 was the last time I spoke to my parents. After years of toxicity, mental abuse, and All around lack of guardianship, I've begun to better my mental health. I'm seeing a psychiatrist and counselor, I'm on medications, and I'm talking many things out. What made me cut ties? I have two toddlers who I want to give a better future to. So I did what I thought I could never do. I left and didn't look back. My children are acting better and I'm feeling a lot better with them gone from my life. Growing up, they gave me low self-esteem, my father accidentally ran me over with a bulldozer which has given me disgust at my disfigured hips. My mother comes from a line of mental abuse and illnesses. She never cared for me, stole and lied to me. She would always talk down about me, especially as a mother. I'm still talking to a counselor about things as new memories begin to resurface.... My cousin thinks I should reach out to them, that they miss me and don't understand what happened. I told her I need time to better myself before I can even try working things out, if I decide to. But my parents did care about my needs. At a pet adoption event, I saw a man waver as he left the store. After the event, I found "Miss you" on my van. Then I received 2 voice-mails on my phone from my father's blocked number. One threatening to take legal action, the other trying to guilt trip me to call. Then a few days later, he and my mother decided to confront me at my home when they knew my fiance would not be home. I calmly expressed my feelings and told them to leave. They never apologized, tried to manipulate the situation, and left unhappy with my choices... They may not be perfect, may be messed up people, but they're the only family I have left outside my kids and fiance. Would it help with closure if I talk to them again? Or should I just focus on my kids and my life? I have no friends to talk to about any of this. I am alone with my thoughts.... My fiance hates how my family is and wants me to keep moving forward as I am finally being my own independent person. Please let me know your thoughts, or if you're going through something similar.

2
User Profile: PeaceLoveandPaws
PeaceLoveandPaws April 29th, 2021

@RescuePassion94

I can relate to you on going no contact with parents. I kow it isn't an easy choice to make. It sounds like you childhood was very difficult and walking away was the health chocie for you at that time. Congratulation on choosing to work through you mental health. It sounds like you have some very good support with them and with your fiance. Chooing if you would like to reunite with your family is ultimately your decission. How do you feel about their recent behavior towards you? It sounds like you were calm but firm when you did speak with them recently. What do you think a relationship with them might look like in the future?

1 reply
User Profile: RescuePassion94
RescuePassion94 OP May 1st, 2021

When I last spoke to them, I was on high meds that had me "emotionally numb". The doctor has me now switched. I don't want to make contact until I'm on the right medicines and know how to handle the situation. I don't want to relapse into the past. To me, they tried manipulating to get what they wanted and tried to hurt me when they couldn't get what they wanted. I'm not sure. Logically I should just push forward, but emotionally I want to talk to them again. Hard place to be. Especially with the past that goes with it.

load more