Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Different and alone

User Profile: loyalClementine7651
loyalClementine7651 June 13th, 2021

Hello, lately my relationship with my family has been strained. I have always been close with them so this is challenging for me. I moved away from my parents area to teach high school to a diverse group of students that normally do not have access to opportunities. Recently I also started dating someone outside of my parents religion. This person loves and respects me entirely. My parents now see me as deceitful hurtfulI and no longer religious. Even my job choice of teaching is a bad idea to them because it means living in a different area. I love my job, my students and my life. I really am happy. I still believe in my parents religion strongly and believe I am making the world a better place and serving my purpose and serving others. They disagree. I feel like I am a disappointment to them in every way possible. I don’t know how to talk to them at all anymore because everything I do is wrong and hurtful to them. How can I be myself and contribute to the world and hurt them so much? Am I a bad person? Should I not follow this job path and not be with the person who I love?

4
User Profile: icarus111
icarus111 June 13th, 2021

please continue what you’re doing if you love your job and your lifestyle you shouldn’t change for anyone if they do not accept the way you live your life then you shouldn’t care at all and keep doing what you love! you are not a bad person you’re just doing what you like. if you’re happy doing what you’re doing nobody can’t tell you that you’re not successful or that you should stop doing what you’re doing, you are not living for your parents or anyone else you are living for yourself and doing what you enjoy and you should keep doing it !

1 reply
User Profile: loyalClementine7651
loyalClementine7651 OP June 13th, 2021

But family is suppose to always be there… if I turn my back on them to pursue myself, then what am I?

load more
User Profile: bestEast2648
bestEast2648 June 14th, 2021

As long as you do not turn your back to God. Go to Church with your Boyfried and continue to pray about it. Your boyfriend believes that Jesus died for our Sins doesn’t he? Your parents are having control issues. They need to be thankful you are healthy and able to fly away. They don’t want you to be at home single forever do they? They are so lucky to have you as their daughter. Keep being you. Tell them you prayed about it and this is where God has placed you.

June 15th, 2021

@loyalClementine7651 It seems that even when you disagree with your parents, you deeply care for them and wish you could do things to help them feel better and happier. What steps would you think can be taken to understand their world and their expectations from you, as well as to help them understand your world a little?

Also, I appreciate that you look to serve the world and look to be good in your own eyes. And even this consideration for your parents' happiness only says something good about you!