Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Done with my Mother

User Profile: slraleigh96
slraleigh96 May 2nd, 2022

I’m almost 26, and I had to move out of my parents home when I was 25 due to being unable to afford rent in my area. My mother still constantly tries to monitor and dictate my life and constantly tells me I need therapy because she didn’t approve of who I dated, what I choose to do with my free-time after work, and even calling late at night to keep me on the phone for hours which affects my sleep schedule I finally got sorted out (dealt with insomnia for 13 years before finally getting treatment that helps).


I feel like my mother is smothering me and constantly harps on whatever I do that she doesn’t deem acceptable. Once again, relating to who I chose to date. She constantly brings him up and doesn’t drop the topic, I’ve been broken up with him and I don’t understand why this seems to be an obsessive topic for her. It’s as if she enjoys being so upset and bothered by it. She constantly tries to get in the middle of my personal life that doesn’t involve her and it’s making me resent her.


Any suggestions? Also, my dad is in the picture but I can’t exactly say anything to him in private because it always gets relayed back to my mother.

1
User Profile: turquoiseGrapes5391
turquoiseGrapes5391 May 11th, 2022

You need to be firm in setting boundaries with your mother. It is hard to do and may make you feel guilty but otherwise she will continue to infringe on your personal life. Stating your boundary can be as simple as "Mom, I respect you and appreciate your concern but I would like for you to refrain from making comments about my dating life".