How do you navigate the holidays?
Hey,
I have a rough relationship with my parents. They fight really badly with each other (and have done so during the holidays in the past) and also can be highly critical and yell at me as well. This year my brothers won't be there for the holidays, so it actually kind of gives me an excuse to not go, and I am leaning strongly towards that. If my brothers or extended family were there, it gives me someone else to connect to besides my toxic parents, but just staying with the two of them is rough and was a trigger that got me hospitalized in the past.
Staying home alone is an assertive emotionally safer choice, albeit a lonely one. How have others handled this? It may just be me watching Christmas movies with my kitty cat. I'm hoping maybe I can try to celebrate with some friends some time around the holidays at least. I'm also seeing a new guy, but it's super new but maybe could just have dinner with him or something if we're still seeing each other at that point.
@Daydreamer47
Hey there!
I can certainly relate to your situation! I really respect that you are making choices, based on what is best for you. If you go or if you don't go, choose which one that will make you happy and content is always the best option (in my opinion). I wish you all of the best for the upcoming holidays!
~ Sher
@Sher217 Have you ever opted out of seeing family for the holidays before? How did you handle being alone or did you have a small alternate celebration somehow?
@Daydreamer47
Hey there,
Yes, I've opted out lots of times! I decide each event, one at a time, based on the circumstances.
My alternatives to the family gathering varies: sometimes I've been invited by friends for a "friends are family" gathering; sometimes I've hosted these and invited my friends (who aren't with their family, like me), and other times I decided to sleep in late, make some food for myself, then do something fun (like watch a movie or send Happy Holiday messages to friends).
I'm not giving advice because I know that very situation is unique and the people involved are all different. I would suggest that you consider each situation individually and that you look at all the options available to you, before making your decision on what is best for you. Only you can make the choices.
I hope something that I've shared has been helpful.
~ Sher