I feel so guilty and I need some help
Hey guys :) my parents have always had manipulative and selfish parenting styles and It’s been a lot worse this last year. Basically, my parents are moving to another state pretty far from where we live now and want me to come with them. I’m in my early 20s and in college. In this last year I have chosen to stay here and finish the remainder of college I have left including getting into my desired program I’ve been working towards. And I’m so excited and relived half of the time but the other half... I feel guilty and selfish for staying here. My parents are constantly this last year trying to bribe me or guilt me into coming but I really do not wish to. All my siblings are moving there or close by, so it’s just me as my parents have said, “abandoning my roots”. They often have tried offering me material things if I move there such as paid college which does sting that they wouldn’t do that now but only if I did what they wanted. Idk I’m just having a really hard time nearing the move that’s soon with feeling guilty or like I’m doing something wrong because I can see it’s clearly upsetting my parents. Any advice or commentary would help :)
It's very difficult to deal with selfish and manipulative parents. It's only normal to feel guilty because...from what it sounds like, they make you feel guilty with their comments. If you truly do not want to go and believe this is your path towards happiness, then I don't see anything wrong with that. My suggestion with how to deal with guilt? Sit with it. If you feel like you did something wrong, acknowledge it but move to the choice that gives your soul peace. Practicing non-dualism can help. Instead of 'im happy but i'm leaving my parents behind' say 'I'm leaving my parents behind and this is what will make me feel happier in the long run, I want to be here.' replacing 'but' with 'and' can help.