Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I think I now know what to do

User Profile: Gabrielle524
Gabrielle524 November 17th, 2021

I started off so angry from my last passage I typed. Desperate for answers and an easy solution. I spoke with my mom and finally told her my reasoning behind my terrible actions. I told her how her insane scenarios of 'what if something bad happens' pushed me to never tell her about any man I grew interest in. I was so mad and felt like she just doesn't understand me, she doesn't want me to live my life and that I'm not being treated like an adult. Not realizing that she's a mom who was brought up in a house where no one cared. Where no one worried about anyone in a family-caring way. She got mad of course and felt like she was to blame. Her feelings were hurt and it hurt me seeing her upset but I had to tell her. She said she thought things were getting better because of the fact that we spent time together today. But it made no sense to me only because when I asked her for advice on how to fix this situation, she stuck with the fact that I still wasn't trusted enough to leave the house and that everyone is still watching over me. So I felt like it was time to tell her and from the minute I opened my mouth I expected there to be feelings hurt and an argument on who's right/wrong and more assumptions on why I did what I did and of course my sister being brought up. But I feel like I finally got a weight lifted off my shoulders and that we cleared the air behind my frustration. She guilt tripped me for a moment and at first I didn't care. I wanted her to know the truth even though it hurt I had to let that out. I eventually felt sorry because she said she was never handed a book on how to fight for her kids, that she sacrificed alot for us. Even brought up the story of her giving birth to me for the millionth time. Is it wrong that I felt bad for what I told her? I took back what I said and apologized. I agreed with how she was simply being a mom and she was in the right place to worry, ask questions and feel like what if something bad happens. I let her know that even though the scenerios she made up were crazy, she is not to blame for this. That she is simply being a normal mom. Paranoid, yes but I wouldn't trade her for the world. I apologized with real tears. None of it was faked to get "let off the hook" I genuinely felt bad for what I said. Once again I was being ungrateful. I want to continue to talk to her in hopes that I do actually understand her as much as I can without being a parent myself. I know that the guy I'm dating wants to see me again soon but he is probably going to have to wait a little longer than intended. I had no idea how broken the bond between my mom and I was. Now my goal is to fix that for good. Talk to her everyday until we come to a conclusion.

1
User Profile: PeaceLoveandPaws
PeaceLoveandPaws November 17th, 2021

@Gabrielle524

I think you were brave to talk so openly with your mom about how you are feeling. It's not easy to express yourself when you feel, in your heart, that the conversation wasn't going to go well. I'm pleased to hear that sharing your feelings with her was a relief, like the weight being lifted from you. It also sounds like she opened up her heart to you, sharing about her life growing up and how she wanted to do better for you and your sister. I can relate to the empathy you are feeling for your mom and the choices she made as a parent. I think it's wonderful that you now have better insight into her motivation as a mom. But, I understand your desire to spread your wings and start to explore the world around you since you are now an adult. I think, now that you've both had the opportunity to be heard, it will make communication a little easier for you both. Best wish to you.