Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I want to live on my own

User Profile: blueBlueberry488
blueBlueberry488 March 18th, 2021

I'm 25, me and my mum live together. My parents separated when I was young, that never really bugged me. I share a room with my mum since then and I mean when I was younger I didn't really mind. My brother and sister both had their own rooms but we couldn't afford more then that so I sucked it up. Over the years we have travelled and moved around and due to that we always had to share. Both my brother and sister have their own lives and I kind of feel like because I'm the youngest my mum stuck herself to me. Over the last few years I have gotten more irritated that I don't have my own space. I want to live on my own but how do I leave the person who has worked 2 jobs for me ? I want to be selfish and go and do my own thing but I know it's going to hurt her. How do i leave her on her own? I'm struggling with guilt because I feel like I owe her but I want to live my life. I want to be able to control my life fully and not have her dictate certain things. She is a very hard headed person and I don't grumble. I want to bring a guy back home, I want a relationship but is that being hypocrite ? Not wanting to be with my mother and being in a relationship? I mean I would still have to think about the other person. I don't know what to do, all I know is that I'm not happy.

1
User Profile: PeaceLoveandPaws
PeaceLoveandPaws March 19th, 2021

@blueBlueberry488

I don't think you are a hypocrite or seIfish for wanting a place of your own but I understand your feelings of guilt. It sounds like she worked very hard to give you and your sibllings the best life she could. Reading what you've written, it sounds like you are grateful for her love and support as you were growing up. Moving into your own space doesn't diminish your gratitude or love for her. As a mom, it was hard to see my youngest leave home but, for your entire life, parents have been teaching and preparing you for life as an adult. How might you be able to communicate your feelings and desires to have your own space to you mom?