Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Loving yourself despite past experiences

User Profile: SweetFlower902
SweetFlower902 May 13th, 2021

Hello, I’m new here so I’m not really sure how all of this works. I guess what I want to talk about is how my family has distorted my own view of myself. When I was a kid, my grandma was pretty unstable. She was very cold and oftentimes went back and forth. I never knew what to expect from her, so I guess I always felt kind of uneasy with her. And then one day she disowned me for reasons I still don’t know. She got over her fit soon after, but I’ll never forget the things she said to me at the time— the self loathing she made me feel. And then a few years later my dad did something similar. He didn’t disown me, but he did humiliate me. He said things that made me hate myself and the way I act. I guess long story short, my past experiences have made it hard for me to love myself physically or emotionally. Every time I start to think something nice about myself, I just replace that thought with what they told me I am. Does anybody else struggle with this? How can I move on?

1
User Profile: Lifeonmars787
Lifeonmars787 May 13th, 2021

I had similar experiences, I got over it. I hope I can help you.