Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My mother vents to me about my father

User Profile: Tinykitten1690
Tinykitten1690 May 5th, 2021

I don’t know what to do. My mother often talks to me about her and my fathers relationship and it has ruined my view of men. I have no interest in a romantic relationship or a friendship yet, but eventually I would like to have one but I know I have to deal with my family issues first. What do I do in the meantime? My mother isn’t going to see a therapist anytime soon and I can’t handle any her telling me “don’t get married” or any of the beliefs she has because of what my father has said. I cant handle the negative view of men she always puts in my head either. What do I do?

2
User Profile: Tinykitten1690
Tinykitten1690 OP May 5th, 2021

Honestly my relationship with my father is a bit ruined by the things she’s said and I feel ashamed about some of the physical traits and flaws I have from him

User Profile: RescuePassion94
RescuePassion94 May 6th, 2021

You sound a lot like me, except my father was the one who ruined the value of marriage and my feelings about my mother (I've told people I won't cry at her funeral) I suggest telling your mom to talk to someone else about your father, write a letter, paint it out, anything besides discussing it with you. Don't give up on love in the future, but don't just hop in. Loving one's self will allow you to love another. Block her out of her head and be honest with her. She's an adult, a mother at first. Her burdens should not be pushed onto you. She is to protect and love you. I'm sorry and I hope you can get through this the best way possible 🙏