Parent and Sibling Issues
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well.
So, I have a lot of trouble with my brother and parents, mainly my mother, and I feel I can't say this, due to past experiences. There is a few things, so I'm just going to fo bulletpoints.
• My parents favour my brother. He is younger, he and my father have common interests, and he doesn't stand up for himself when my mother gives out to him. If he does a good picture, My mither talks about how amazing it is, but when I do one, everyone simply stares at it until I take it back. They talk to guests about how amazing he is, and shows off his trophies, while I just have to sit there, ashamed
• The moment I get an interest in something, my brother immediately says its bad, and teases me about it. If he also likes it, he stops liking it, and when I ask bout it, he simply says, "You started liking it, so now it's bad." He says oriole things to his friends about me, but I can't retaliate without my parents giving out to me. They say they will give out to him, but they never do
• My mother basically said that, "if I keep being a teenager, like her cousins" she would kick me out of the house. She was mad because, I cleaned the house that morning while she was gone, but had been feeling faint and weak, so was top tired to help in the afternoon. She said that when her cousins were acting up, she told her aunt to kick them out, that everyone did. This was after shouting about how I was just as bad as they had been.
• My family treats my interests like dirt. I show my mother I video I found, and she replies with "(insert name) are you on drugs," she once joked about how I need therapy for having an interest. I think she finds my interests too childish. If I talk about a show I like, my dad, will groan and say "(insert name) is this another dumb anime?" Which it usually isn't.
•The only time I made them aware about my mental health, I wrote a note. At the end, I wrote, "please, can you write back, as I am not good with talking about this sort of thing." My mother ignored my message, and just kind of said, "No, we do love you, don't feel like that." She promised she would write a note back, but i guess she forgot to check on her child's mental health. My father did write a note, a heartfelt one that made me cry.
• My fanily occasionally make what sounds like homophobic jokes, and I just have to laugh along (which I hate) for fear of them turning on me. They say, "there's either, straight, gay, lesbian or bisexual. Everything I'd a load of s**t" or they make jokes about pronouns. My mother also goes on about how, yes you can be trans, but biologically, you will always be your original gender, which just rubs me the wrong way.
•If I ever say, "I never want to get married" (which I don't, I hate that idea for me, I enjoy romance, but I hate me being involved in it) my mother gives out, saying, "Oh, (insert name), don't say that, you might want to get married in the future. She started shouting at me for not wanting to be married.
I just want to run away, but I know I can't. I feel like maybe going non-contact when I can, but I know I would miss my dad, because he is the one who really tried who writing the letter.
@T1tch Hi there, I read every single bullet point and I am so sorry you are going through this right now. With family favoring your brother and your parents not paying attention to your mental health, I understand how it is difficult for you. Similarly, I have also thought of running away and cutting contact but just decided not to, and tried talking to my parents about it. Since your dad has written back a heartfelt letter, I recommend you start with your father. Try talking to him again about how you feel, and possibly even get your dad to help connect you with your mom. I am not sure how young your brother is, but I suggest talking to him too. Tell him how he makes you feel, and have a serious talk. Let him know that you are trying to better this sibling relationship and that you care about him, but he has to change his attitude for the better as well. If nothing works at one point, there are runaway services available online but only use them as a last resort. Best of luck.