Responsibility
I'm an older sister. Since the death of our father many things have changed. I've always felt a responsibility towards my siblings. When things go wrong i feel responsible. Then I feel pressure to make it better. Sometimes it is just a losing situation and there is no easy answer.
My question ❓ is how do you stop yourself from taking on other people's struggles without completely cutting them out of your life.
@turkeybby
Hey there,
First, please accept my condolences on the loss of your father.
I also was the 'go to / fix it' person for certain family members. I also felt the pressure to make it better, even when it added to the emotional load that I was already carrying for myself.
Finding Cups actually helped me with that a lot! Cups helped me change how I interact with family. I can now hear them and support them, without taking on responsibility for their situations. The Active Listening and other skills taught in the Training section really helped. Of course, everyone is different, but if you are interested, you can find the Trainings here: https://www.7cups.com/listener/training.php#training
~ Sher
@turkeybby
Greetings, I'm wuffles, a trained listener, and I just stumbled across your forum post,
Firstly, I'd like to begin saying I am sincerely sorry for your loss, it can be extremely hard trying to push forward after a caretakers death. Especially during the holidays, secondly, I do see that you are struggling with responsibility, and how to approach it, therefore, I'm more than glad that you have reached out to 7Cups website for support!
It is a great place to receive support, it may also change you a lot in a very positive way! Not only respect wise, but also responsibility wise, but, back to what you were saying about how to deal with others responsibility without completely ignoring them, and or their problems, well for starters, self care is always required before attempting to support others! Once you learn, and understand that gift, you'll be able to take anything that comes your way! Meaning, once you as a person feel stable, you'll be able to slow down and begin helping others in this case your siblings, as the big sister!
I hope that helped, feel free to shoot me a PM/DM for further chat's! I'd love to speak with you.