Strengthening a relationship with a sibling through shared trauma
Hi all,
To try and make a long story short, my older sister and I grew up in an environment of rather intense childhood trauma.
At first, as adults, she and I really did not see eye-to-eye on things, especially regarding our parents.
But, as we've both been through therapy separately, we are starting to come to a lot of common ground with what we've been through. As well as providing each other mutual understanding and support.
Have any of you been through a similar situation with a sibling?
@sereneSunset26
Hey there!
I was in a similar situation, but reserved. My older sister and I were bonded together, when we were younger and going through everything at home. We were two halves of a whole. As we got older, and after many years of therapy individually, we now see things differently. She is much more forgiving than I.
I think sometimes that time and understanding as we grow can change how we perceive our past.
I'm glad to hear that you and your sister are closer now and able to offer one another support! That's a wonderful thing to have with a sibling. I think that can also make healing easier for both.
~ Sher
@sereneSunset26 I'm glad your sibling relationship is growing and improving. I have been trying to connect with my brother a lot and he has been supportive of me and more positive than my parents, but he also tends to respond to the conflicts we experienced by withdrawing and isn't open to counseling, so it's hard. :/
@Daydreamer47
Thank you!!
And I know it can be hard when the sibling dynamic is like that. My sister is not the best at listening or communicating when it's not on her terms. Particularly if she hears something she disagrees with; her emotions can be pretty volatile, and honestly, I don't even put that on her. Our parents pretty much modeled that kind of example for us growing up.