Superficial Family
My family doesn’t feel like a family, specifically towards me. No one cares about me and my feelings. They ask how I’m doing, but if my answer is anything less than “fine”, they get irritated. When I don’t respond, they get offended. What do they want from me? I don’t know why they bother asking if it’s nothing more than a pleasantry.
They deal with each other’s drama just fine, but holy cow, my problems are downright mundane compared to their ridiculous soap operas, so I don’t know why I’m the problem child.
We don’t give each other gifts either; everything is borrowed. The buyer still has full rights over the item despite it being a gift. Because of this, I don’t like accepting gifts from my family because there’s always a caveat with them. I don’t do “takesies-backsies” or “you owe me”.
The only one who cares to listen a little is my sister, but she’s pretty full of herself and is still totally on board the family train, so she does not understand why I do not like the other family members and why they would cause me so much distress.
I don’t feel comfortable around anyone; friends, therapists, etc. I feel so alone and defeated. My family seems to be content with the other members, but I’m treated like an outcast.
@FrostFeather
It sounds like you are feeling like the black sheep in your family; bring labeled a problem child and treated like an outcast in your own home. I imagine it is a very lonely feeling , given the examples you've shared in your story. It sounds like you have been trying to create a closer relationship with your sister. I'm sorry to hear she is onboard the family train and can't relate to or understand your feelings. Have you tried talking to your parents about your feelings? How did that go? You said you feel uncomfortable with people in general. Is this something you've always felt or has this started happening recently? What do you think is causing those feelings? I do hope you find connections and support here at 7 Cups.