Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

my father is alcoholic

User Profile: discreetNest8335
discreetNest8335 May 26th, 2023

I always had a difficult relationship with my dad but it has gotten more complicated because he was drinking more and more and he came home drunk and that makes me feel angry since we have financial problems and I don't understand where he gets money to drink but for our food many times there is no money.


I think what bothers me the most is that after a few days he thinks that everything is fine and again he comes home drunk I know he disappointed me again and it makes me angry to believe that this time will be the last time it makes me angry that Despite everything, I still have hope that I will not drink again

4
User Profile: toughTiger6481
toughTiger6481 May 26th, 2023

@discreetNest8335

Although i do not know your exact situation ....alcoholic or any addict IMO need a reality check .


my spouse is a recovering alcoholic ...... he took it seriously and found a way to stop when he knew how not only angry but ashamed ........his KIDS were of him ...

i had talked and talked and got yeah i will stop but did not ....................when our kids told him .....embarrassed to be anywhere with him as many people knew..... did not want him to attend important events ...... and will remember this forever...


User Profile: discreetNest8335
discreetNest8335 OP May 27th, 2023

I suppose he knows that his attitude embarrasses me, it's sad to be at home with visitors or with my boyfriend and that he arrives drunk without being able to walk well.

load more
User Profile: MetaMetaPhysics
MetaMetaPhysics May 26th, 2023

@discreetNest8335

I understand the struggle. My father was quite similar, and he also didn't try to find work. Despite the fact that my mom and I tried everything, we eventually had to separate from him.

It's not your obligation to help him if he can't attempt to help himself. I don't think stuff like AA works if a person doesn't have the willingness to stop. However, if you have to live together, some boundary-making and assertiveness has to be expressed. That is to say, you have to express tough love. If your dad isn't willing to be accommodating of that, you have to try something more serious.

User Profile: discreetNest8335
discreetNest8335 OP May 27th, 2023

Exactly, I think he doesn't accept it, and it's hard to fight against something that doesn't belong to me because I'm his daughter “and I must respect him”.


I talked to my mom about this and she told me that I should love and support it, that basically if we haven't been able to change it in 20 years it will never change and that's how you have to accept it.



this is complicated

load more