Exploring the impact of caregiving in a family setting
Hi All! I am back with another post on the topic of family. Last time we discussed what family means to us. Today we will talk about the importance of caregivers in a family setting. To ensure we are on the same page, caregiver is a a family member or paid helper who regularly looks after a child or a sick, elderly, or disabled person.
Are you or someone you know in the role of a caregiver? How has it impacted your or their life?
I am disabled. At first all of my friends, my sisters and my daughters were caring for me as well as the Nursing Assistants. Once I was home, everything fell on to one daughter. I have watched it affect her relationship with her fiance', watched her change her plans to move from my home so she could be with me, taken time she hoped to spend with her son. I have watched her become overwhelmed with trying to care for me, her son, her job, the house, the yard, and the puppy they got shortly before my health incident. I have watched her become anxious and depressed. I am working so hard to get back to who I was before to give her the break she deserves. Maybe soon.
Does your insurance provide respite care for your caregivers? Sometimes respite means a worker coming to help you while the caregiver gets a break, or goes on a trip, and another form is when the patient stays at a long term care facility while care giver gets a respite.
My husband and I care for our youngest who is autistic and intellectually disabled. She lives on her on but we have to go to her apartment at least twice a week to help her with laundry and shopping. She is struggling mentally health wise right now and it is taking a huge toll on both of us as well, both mentally and financially. She needs an adult guardian and conservator but we cannot do it. We’re burnt out and I am in the depths of a very deep pit of compassion fatigue. We want to be able to be parents and not both parents and caregivers because we aren’t enjoying life right now. We want to be able to spend time with her doing enjoyable things and not constantly having to address her physical and mental needs only.
I am a secondary caregiver to my sister who has Down Syndrome. It is actually a primary part of my life and I have to give up somethings to take care of her. I really love her for who she is and we do have a good relationship. I feel bad that I am not able to give her everything she deserves. Though I don't mind being around but I think sometimes my parents just take it for granted. I get very worried about her future though like what happens when we won't be around anymore. It's a very scary thought and I want some real practical answers for it. Who should we rely on etc.? Being her caregiver does not define my life but it does affect it practically. I have to cancel plans sometimes. But mostly I don't like the fact that people are so ignorant about my situation and of her and do not adapt to include me in it.
Being a caregiver is hard, emotionally and otherwise, especially for one's spouse as the roles get kinda blurred. It's very rewarding but at the same time it can be painful for a multitude of reasons. We all know we should take care of ourselves, but it's often easier said than done. Hard times, but you need to be tough
@Hope