Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Am I The A**hole? : I did not come out to greet my family

User Profile: diligentSheep3836
diligentSheep3836 December 12th, 2025

Am I The ***? : I did not come out to greet people

So, It is to do with my family but also my life as a whole. I know I am not a good person, I have a lot of issues and I am still struggling with them. But sometimes, I fail to see why they make so big of a deal out of some things.

We are 9 PM and everybody came back home. I was in the room and I heard them talking and entering the corridor(we have a sofa in there) and the room was connected to the sofa and was kinda open. Usually it is the room where we come to undress ince we come from the outside so I was kinda expecting someone to come in at some notice.

I was also feeling unwell/dizzy and they were talking loudly and at some point about how I must be the one to have eaten their things (my aunt). Some were true, other not and I did not want to come into the discussion since my aunt was kinda acting cold/ignoring since a few days because of some other issue.

The issue was this. We all sleep in the same room and I have the bad habit of sleeping late. Most times, they would come to get me when they were about to sleep in. That day, I was writing and did not see the time pass. Nobody came to see me, so I guesses it was okay for me to write a little more. When I finally came to sleep, it was about 12:30 AM. Unfortunately the door creaks so when I entered they woke up. My aunt started screaming to turn the lights out and that if I wanted to sleep at 1 it was my issue but the door was too loud and I wasn't being mindful. (For reference, the lights were on and that same week we all slept at 2am without issue). The next day I got a message from my mom berating me for what I did and she gave me a curfew, saying I was free to do whatever I wanted the day and that I wasn't a bat. She said the same thing the morning too. When I came back, I didn't change clothes, no greetings, when my sister came out of the room to tell me to come sleep early that it was disturbing my aunt.

Okay, I got it. But after that my aunt continued to act cold towards me, so I was kinda avoiding her, but unfortunately we sleep on the same bed so it was always awkward.

That's the awkward atmosphere that I was still avoiding, when I did not come out to see them. But when I finally came out, my mom asked me if was home since then to which I answered yes, I was. She acted shocked that I did not come out all the while thay were talking, to which I did not know how to react.

Turns out they were doing some chores(cleaning ice shest?) and a little after I heard my aunt comment about us not helping out. So, apparently my attitude towards them was alike to someone's towards some animals and that again, I wasn't treating them like people.

My aunt and mom both got extremely angry at me. My mom said I was growing mean by the day and my aunt gave me a nasty side eye, which really hurt me.

I know I have a LOT of issues. Especially towards my relationship with others. I tend to ignore people when struggling with my feelings and not show emotions not to end up crying or to badly react (that happened) and am too sensitive over some matters. So, I want to know if I am being an *** here.

Now they are all (mom, aunt, sister) in the room enjoying themselves. I feel like I am victimizing myself too much but I am so lost. Without my family, I have nobody, and I still can't bring myself to do right by them.

If they hate me, I fear I have nobody to rely on.

1
User Profile: CalmRosebud
CalmRosebud December 13th, 2025

@diligentSheep3836

Hey, I just read your post. It sounds like you're going through a really tough time and are feeling super overwhelmed and alone right now.
It sounds like a really complicated and tense situation with your family, and it's completely understandable that you felt overwhelmed and needed to stay in your room. When you're not feeling well and there's already tension in the air, retreating to take care of yourself is a valid choice. It doesn't automatically make you a bad person.
It seems like there's a lot of hurt and miscommunication happening on both sides. Your family might be feeling hurt that you weren't present, and you're feeling hurt by their reactions and comments. When things are this charged, it's easy for actions to be misinterpreted.
You mentioned struggling with your feelings and relationships, and that's something a lot of people work on. The fact that you're aware of it and want to understand if you were in the wrong shows a desire for growth, not that you're inherently mean. Everyone has coping mechanisms, and sometimes they aren't the most effective, but that doesn't define who you are.
It's really tough when you feel misunderstood, especially by the people closest to you. The fear of not having anyone to rely on is a heavy weight, and it's okay to feel that way when things are difficult with your family.
You're not "victimizing yourself" by feeling hurt or lost in this situation. Your feelings are valid, and it sounds like you're navigating a challenging environment. It might be helpful to remember that you're not alone in facing family conflict or feeling misunderstood.
It's a really difficult spot to be in, and it's okay to take time to process how you feel. Be kind to yourself as you navigate this.
screenshot-2025-12-13-at-9-16-40-am_1765636893.png