Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you de-stress and relax?

User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 June 24th, 2022

Do you ever feel you can leave your work behind when you clock off and if so how do you do that?

Lucy2 <3

12
User Profile: MrsAshleyMarie
MrsAshleyMarie June 24th, 2022

@lucy2 Hi there! :) I have definitely struggled with leaving work at work before. You are not alone.

For some, taking some time to relax is the most helpful. I've heard that meditating, going for walks, and taking a bath have helped people release their stress after work. For me, I like to busy my mind with something fun for a while. Reading a book, for example, allows me to focus on something else without making myself even more stressed or tired. Do you think there's a new activity you could try to help relieve your stress after work?

1 reply
User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 OP June 25th, 2022

Hi @MrsAshleyMarie

It's good to know you find ways of relaxing after shifts.

It can be such a stressful job and as well as mindfulness, I find journaling really helps remove those intrusive thoughts and images of stressful events, which crop up often, sadly <3

It would be good to know how others cope too!

Lucy2

load more
User Profile: TheRandomEMT
TheRandomEMT June 25th, 2022

It's really difficult for me to leave work at work but I know I won't be able to live if I don't. Excersise sometimes help though but something which I recently felt is useful that I now know it's OK to grief by myself after work if I dealt with a loss during my shift.

User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 June 25th, 2022

@lucy2. I am retired now but I used to watch comedy shows after work to help me de stress. It was helpful to have a few laughs after seeing difficult things all day.

User Profile: blueduck08
blueduck08 June 26th, 2022

@lucy2

I listen to some of my favorite songs!

User Profile: presetTitle5905
presetTitle5905 June 26th, 2022

@lucy2

I used to take a shower and change into comfortable clothes. Mister Rogers always changed into shoes and a cardigan when he went into his house as a way of de-stressing and changing his internal environment. I haven't known any other (healthy) techniques but if I think of something else I'll share it with you.

1 reply
User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 OP June 26th, 2022

@presetTitle5905

Thank you!

If this helps you de-stress then that's excellent❤️


Lucy2

load more
User Profile: ListenerDustin
ListenerDustin August 10th, 2022

@lucy2

I truly do wish that I could do that. The high adrenaline, and constant "fight or flight" makes me so physically tired at the end of the shift. Sometimes, I just sit... sit in my car in the parking lot... sit in the driveway at home... it's just hard to shutdown the racing thoughts and my mind at times. I usually try to distract myself with funny videos or something like that... or even just come to 7 cups and support others. At times, it sometimes feels that the stuff in my head isn't as bad as what others are experiencing. I know this wasn't exactly what the thread meant, but I just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening. :)

1 reply
User Profile: TheRandomEMT
TheRandomEMT August 10th, 2022

@ListenerDustin

I couldn't relate more

load more
User Profile: goldenThinker5257
goldenThinker5257 August 19th, 2022

One of the main things I do when I am feeling stressed and get a headache I massage my forehead and top of my head. It relaxes, especially combined with deep breathing and eyes-closed meditation. If you have the time, it’s better to get [edited by Lucy2] a massage, I see a massage therapist once a month. I also do yoga and meditation daily. These items help me reduce stress and maintain positive mental and physical health. From my experience, a full-body massage is great for pleasure and stress relief.