Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to get over someone you know you should get over, but who you don't want to get over.

User Profile: sydney9321
sydney9321 April 11th, 2016

I met a guy and fell in love with him. I know he is not good for me and he doesnt treat me well. He said that we probably won't ever be in a relationship, and we are just friends with benefits. I cant get myself to stop texting him, even if he doesnt reply. I cant get myself to delete our conversations because I am hoping one day he decides differently. I cant get myself to block him or delete his number for the same reason. I dont want to move on, even though I know I have to. I just dont know what to do.

8
User Profile: TheBoxingGoldfish
TheBoxingGoldfish April 11th, 2016

@sydney9321 I know it's hard leaving someone you love but you know you aren't going to be happy with. However, for your own sake, delete all of those messages. You clearly care for him very much. I'm sorry to say this, but it doesn't seem like he loves you back. Don't wait around for someone like him to change his mind because he probably won't. Delete all those messages, please. Yes, deleting them will hurt. You will be sad for a while. However, you will be able to get over that sadness and find someone amazing. You won't be able to get the love you truly deserve if you sit around waiting for him. Trying to be with a person you're incompatible with never works out. Stay strong, Sydney, and take care of your heart.

User Profile: Harry53
Harry53 April 11th, 2016

@sydney9321 You can get yourself to do all those things, you just haven't yet!

User Profile: MsJessica55
MsJessica55 April 18th, 2016

@sydney9321

Hi hon, I don't know how old you are or how old your friend with benefits is, so I will assume in your early 20's. My first concern is your health. Since you are a friend with benefits, I would guess that he has other friends with benefits. Thinking this, are you making sure he is using protection as well as you are using birth control to protect you from multiple STD's and an unwanted pregnancy. Even with him using a condom, that is not a 100% guarantee that something cannot get transmitted, especially if oral sex is involved.

Secondly, how is this affecting you emotionally, knowing that you want more than a friends with benefits relationship and he has told you that he does not want that type of relationship. Even though he says he may down the road, I would wonder if that was just a ploy to keep you on call for sex. If you were both getting mutually enjoyable sex out of it and both didn't want more, that would be fine, but you said that you do want more, so I think you will probably get hurt down the road believing that having sex with him will change his mind about committing just to you.

Thirdly, you say he doesn't treat you well. I would ask myself why I would pursue a relationship with someone who doesn't return my texts, is not considerate of your feelings and admits he just wants you for sexual gratification. I would ask you to please consider speaking to someone who is a professional therapist about why you would want a relationship with someone who does not fulfill your personal need to have an intimate relationship with them. I am not putting you down in any way, this happens to so many women because their father's were either emotionally or physically unavailable in their lives or in a worse case scenario, a father that was abusive and they have never received that all important unconditional love from the first man in their life, their father. This may not be your situation at all, but I am just letting you know that the situation you are in is unfortunately not uncommon and many women spend too much time chasing Mr. Wrong until they understand why and then they begin to finally seek Mr. Right, the person who will respect them, treat them very well and make them happy on a long term basis. That is something we all desire and deserve. It is something you deserve.

Please get some help to understand why you are willing to settle for less than, when in reality you deserve so much more smiley