How Do You Bring Mental Health Awareness to Your School?
In preparation for our upcoming discussion with the Student Support Community (this Thursday, August 17th, 3:00-4:00 ET!) we're talking about back to school resources!
What are some ways you can help spread awareness about mental health in your school?
- NAMI Ending the Silence is free presentation for middle and high school students. During the 50-minute presentation, a young adult living with mental illness and a family member tell their stories about mental health challenges, including what hurt and what helped.
- NAMI On Campus clubs work to end the stigma that makes it hard for students to talk about mental health and get the help they need. Clubs hold creative meetings, hold innovative awareness events, and offer signature NAMI programs through partnerships with NAMI State Organizations and Affiliates across the nation.
What ideas do you have to help start the conversation and spread resources about mental health this school year? Or maybe you've already started the conversation by being there for a friend when they needed you or connected someone with a mental health resource when they were in crisis.
Let us know below!
Our school allows us to make clubs so maybe making a club about mental health awareness- or I could talk to the principal about a mental health assembly.
@WiiAllMatter
A mental health assembly would be great. Try reaching to the school counselor for help organizing. Also having a club is a great idea. Remember to be creative with the name of the club so no one feels singled out.
@DrSaDohlJones
What kind of name would you think work? Maybe like an accronym for something mental health related but I don't really know
@WiiAllMatter an acronym would be great. Consider who would join the club it even the purpose of the club.
Even a symbol that represents the purpose of the group would be good.
Even though i am in middle school, at my school there's no such thing as "mental health support" or anything else. There's a psychologist but nobody knows about him so there's not much about that. It's really sad because i know a lot of people from my school suffer of mental health issues. :) I would actually really like if there would be something, but there isn't.
@ana1409 have you tried reaching out to your school counselor, all schools have one. Ask them what the do to support mental health and if there are groups or activities students can participate in who need support. It's so great that you are thinking about this now. Prevention is key to being healthy in all areas of our lives.
We have a psychologist that isn't that active, but once you go and have a propper conversation with him he will check on you regulary
@Domchi in addition a you could always go to the school counselor as well. They have the specifics mental health skills to assist and support students.
Recently, my school has been vocalising counselling support more than ever before. They have been putting posters up around the school about stress and depression and reaching out. I also want to present a poem about depression at a small poetry slam my school is hosting next week.
@KateWrites that's amazing. I love the posters and all the activities for support. It's so important.
@lovelyllama13
I'm keeping my tattos on to help me stop self-harm.
My school recently started doing something called CARE reports. The CARE Network is a cross-departmental support system which recognizes that student concerns are often multi-faceted. Students, Professors and Adminstrators can file an anonymous CARE report which is given to proper staff member to help with the problem. CARE reports can filed specifically for mental health issues. This has been a really great resource for students and faculty at my school.
Also I think it is so important to create an envrionment where it is ok to talk. Having a safe and open environment is SO important to fostering good mental health.
my school acts like theres no judgement or no problem with mental health issues and condemns certain issues. I have fought them year after year. Actions speak louder than words. They are narrow minded. Hopefully this will help! Im really happy this information is avalible for people to learn from and hopefully make schools more aware.
Okay I am late but posters do help? But do not over do it. Be positve but not extra. There is a difference. Also having a friendly student group of people who are willing to volunteer can be set up to help others cope. It becomes a little more relatable and better than talking to some adult who's not really bothered? @lovelyllama13
@lovelyllama13
In my old Key CLub we did food drives to help out menatlly ill homeless. It was geared specially towards that group; some would bike out to the people and bring the meals themselves. I was also on the city Youth COuncil and would bring up the topic of mental health stigmas; eventually we dedicated a day each year in Tampa and Goldsboro as Mental Health Day.
@lovelyllama13
In my school I did a 50 minute presentation on mental health awarness day to the whole of my year. I especially focused on how school can greatly influence our mental health and how there is no need to hide if we need help. In another section of my presentation I focused on male sucide rates as I felt the boys in my year were often neglected regarding the subject of mental health so made sure I connected with them in a way none of the teacher had done previously.
I am happy to answer any questions any one has regarding my presentation :)
Beliveinspiredream x
@Believeinspiredream This is great and so important! You're definitely right that sometimes we forget to highlight guys who are living with mental health conditions and suicidal ideation too.
@Believeinspiredream well done That's amazing
@Believeinspiredream well done That's amazing
@Believeinspiredream
this is great!! I love the focus in how influentials schools are to mental health of students. Good for you!!