My girlfriend, her mum, and possible mental health?
I'll start by saying that me and my girlfriend met at university in September and made things official late November. During that first week though, she was undergoing financial problems (she's an international student) and she couldn't afford to pay her week's rent. She'd come over to the UK hoping to find a job really quickly but she was struggling. Her mum had expected her to fly straight here and have a job the next day but it isn't as easy as that. So her mum was kicking off at her over Skype, telling her she looked like a drug addict and she refused to help her out financially. I wanted to give her the week's rent but she refused. Eventually I think her dad managed to persuade her mum to pay her some money.
She was applying for jobs but was just not getting accepted from them. But over the time of us being together, she's opened up a lot to me about her life at home. Her family own a bar and shop in their home and she's been forced to work there every summer and told me she spent her birthday last year just being on her own and crying her eyes out. I wanted to take her away somewhere nice this year to make up for it but she spoke to her mum about it and her mum told her she had to go home and work. And she kicked off at her for no reason whatsoever. I think she even accused her own daughter of being with me for money and that she could do so much better..
And then there was another occasion where she was looking for a job, and the only thing available was a full time job where she wouldn't be able to work at home a lot. Well her mum kicked off at her when she found this job! So she had to not go ahead with it then. All because of her mum.
Anyway, I told her I'd spend the summer with her so at least she has some company, and her mum has been fine with her since we booked the plane tickets. I heard she got really emotional when she found out that my family have been helping her quite a lot, and she really appreciated it.
We flew out a few weeks ago, and I don't understand the language but straight after meeting her mum, she called my girlfriend fat. And kicked off at her because I was a little slimmer than her, even though I don't think that's the case. So she has been really self conscious about her weight, despite the fact if she's skinny, her mum kicks off at her and says she looks like a drug addict, and now if she's put a little bit of weight on, she's fat. A week ago, we went to see my girlfriend's friend and she hadn't seen him in ages and she wanted to introduce us, she got dressed up really nice and then her mum told her she looked disgusting and needed to lose weight. She was down for the rest of the evening then.
Anyway, things have been calmer since then, but it kicked off yesterday. For her bar work, my girlfriend started earning her first tips, it seemed like everyone who came in, tipped her and she made quite a lot of money, she was over the moon. I even gave her some myself when I bought a drink, and even though in UK currency, that isn't a lot to me, it meant the world to her and that's all that mattered. But she was excited and told her mum, so her mum did something to make out the numbers were wrong, so that she'd lose some of these tips. She was saving up because she really wanted a game expansion pack and she was heartbroken.
I forgot to mention that yesterday morning, she was telling me she's caught her mum talking to herself quite a bit lately. I mean she is really lonely. My girlfriend's dad works away a lot as he drives a truck around Europe, her mum was looking after her grandad until a few months ago when he passed away. Apparently her mum has behaved like this for years now, since her mother passed away..but they are struggling for money as well and are on verge of losing the house..that's what my girlfriend worries about..
She thinks her mum has a mental illness. But if I'm honest, I see a lot of traits from her mum, in my girlfriend sometimes, and I'm getting a bit worried..
@JLL118
Wow, I'm so sorry for your girlfriend's troubles. It sounds like her mother is abusive towards her and is having a very hard time with the death of her father. Has your girlfriend's mother sought professional help? If not...it may be a bit hard to persuade her to get help since you are only her daughter's boyfriend. It sounds like you are a very good boyfriend who cares a lot for your girlfriend. The thing that worried me what what you wrote is how your girlfriend's mother picks on her about her weight. Do you think that has affected her and how she sees herself? Has she made any changes to her appearance and eating habits that would indicate a eating disorder?
I know it's hard to see this situation happen but the best thing you can do is continue to be there for your girlfriend and to support her. If she decides that she needs to cut off contact from her mother or she would like to seek some counseling from the abuse she is experiencing, then just support her and love her. She needs you now more than ever and your presence and reassurance is going to do a lot of good. I know it probably doesn't seem like that but having you there as her support, will help her get past this situation.
I hope things get better with your girlfriend and her mother. Take care and good luck! 
@KindListening
Hi there, thanks for replying! I do think what her mum says about her weight does affect her and this is one of the main factors that worries me a little. I'm not going to lie, my girlfriend has put a bit of weight on and she does know that herself, she feels personally that she could stand to lose some, and I've told her I'm with her no matter what she wants to do, and I just said to her that if she wants to lose it, then please don't get into the state she was when she was super skinny. She said she wouldn't like to be like that anyway.
She might not be the slimmest of girls now, but she's beautiful and is healthy. I had a bit of a scare a few weeks ago that she had an eating disorder but I don't think it was as bad as that, she eats pretty normally and doesn't disappear after eating so all seems well in that department, it's just sometimes she does get a bit worried and doesn't want to eat..