Pet loss
So, as the title says, I just lost a piece of myself, my baby of 11 years. Attached to my hip, always under feet, and always under a blanket or laying in the sun. But he started having seizures, and we did everything we could, but it wasn't enough, and his sweet, loving, little body just couldn't take anymore. It happened so fast. From the first seizure to his passing was only 3 days. I knew I'd miss him, but oh my God I miss everything. I got laundry out of the dryer and opened my mouth to call him. There's no more carrying his little old bones to bed, so he could snuggle in next to me. I feel adrift, lost, and I'm truly scared my depression is just going to swallow me whole after this. I'm trying to fight it, I have so much to live for, but it's so so hard to see a life ahead without my baby. I expected another 5-8 years, Boston's can go as far as 20+ years sometimes. Now there's a space where he should be. And I have another dog, whom I dearly love, and now I worry I need to get him a sibling, bc he's never been alone. But I'm not ready for another dog. Do I be selfish, and wait, or do I get him a friend? Oddly, he seems fine. He's eating, playing. Wants to go on walks. I think he's okay. I'm sorry for ranting. My brain/ body really can't handle this and my previous coping mechanisms no longer serve me (rhymes with rugs). So. That's my first post. Thank you for reading ❤️
@shyCurrent1253
What you’re going through is important. It’s sad and important at the same time. And so many people go through this. Unfortunately. But if it’s hard for you right now, don’t try to replace him, forget him, or pretend that nothing happened. Accept it, and remember all the good times you shared. Your dog can get used to being alone if you’re not ready. The main thing is not to dwell on his absence for too long. Allow yourself to grieve for a week, two weeks, or a month. And then move on and get back to your routine. You can do it!
@shyCurrent1253 I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a pet. It's ok to grieve and be sad. Grief has no timeline. Your little guy was a part of your life for 11 years and he was taken so suddenly and with seizures too... That would be so hard. It took me two years to get another dog.
@shycurrent1253 I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing your baby of 11 years after 3 days is so much to go through, and it makes sense you feel adrift right now. Those little moments like calling him after laundry or carrying him to bed are huge. You did everything you could and gave him a lifetime of being loved and safe right by your hip. That doesn't make the empty space any less painful though. You are not being selfish for waiting to get your other dog a sibling. It's more than okay to not be ready. Just keep loving on him day by day, you don't have to decide anything right now. You are not ranting at all. We are here with you.