Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The emotions you may experience after the loss - Other peoples reactions

User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 July 14th, 2019

Other people's reactions: One of the hardest things to face when we are bereaved is the way other people react to us. They often do not know what to say or how to respond to our loss. Because they don't know what to say or are worried about saying the wrong thing, people can avoid those who have lost someone. This is hard for us because we may well want to talk about the person who has died. It can become especially hard as time goes on and other people's memories of the person who has died fade.

heart

2
User Profile: Emmaness
Emmaness July 20th, 2019

@lucy2

thank you for this post

heart

User Profile: Daydreamer47
Daydreamer47 January 12th, 2022

@lucy2 Yes, thank you. I really struggle with this because I don't want to come off as spoiled or ungrateful when someone means well, but I feel like it's valid to more directly clarify how best they can support me. I had to tell my therapist today, and she spent a lot of time seeming kind of uncomfortable and kind of staring at me. I hate crying in front of other people, even a therapist, but I feel like I need to to process the emotions. I hope next session I can try to bring that up that I want her to help me feel more comfortable expressing my emotions and I would have preferred she said something like "let it all out, it's okay to cry and I want you to feel comfortable".