Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How Does Your Mental Health Impact You Living Healthier?

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean March 24th, 2017

Hey Everyone!.... There are many who suffer from Mental and Emotional Health issues and concerns (Anixety, Depression as well others)....

How do you feel that your mental health impacts you trying to live a Healthier Lifestyle? How does it affect your eating habits & patterns? How does it affect your ability to workout? How does it affect you trying to keep up with it all and stay on track? What things have you done that have helped you? .....We want to hear from YOU!

19
User Profile: TortueDesBois
TortueDesBois March 24th, 2017

@PoliteOcean
searching recomfort in food and stay in my blankets instead to try to be active

User Profile: JamieSclafaniLMSW
JamieSclafaniLMSW March 24th, 2017

@TortueDesBois it can surely be difficult to motivate yourself when you are depressed

load more
User Profile: IntellectualPenguin123
IntellectualPenguin123 March 24th, 2017

When my emotional energy is zapped, I eat a lot more unhealthy food and stay more sedentary. Snacks + TV.

Of course, when I make myself take a walk or work out even though I don't feel like it, it helps my state of mind. It's a loop and each component influences the other.

User Profile: cosmicdreamer08
cosmicdreamer08 March 27th, 2017

@IntellectualPenguin123 It really is difficult to get out there and move when depressed. A lot of effort is needed to get the motivation, I understand completely!

load more
User Profile: mimameid
mimameid March 24th, 2017

I don't eat when I'm extremely anxious sooo that's kind of bad. Like others have said, being depressed makes it hard for me to get up and do healthy things such as exercising. However, I have found that even like...a 30 second plank next to my bed is better than not doing anything. Also, home exercise plans are the best when I just don't feel like being around people.

User Profile: cosmicdreamer08
cosmicdreamer08 March 27th, 2017

@mimameid I prefer exercising at home too. It sounds like you are making an effort and that is awesome :) Good job!

User Profile: mimameid
mimameid March 29th, 2017

@owllistentoyou

Thanks for your kind words :)

load more
load more
User Profile: Mellietronx
Mellietronx March 24th, 2017

@PoliteOcean I am tired a lot, so working out is hard sometimes.

User Profile: SadMe70
SadMe70 March 26th, 2017

I eat a lot of bad things when I'm depressed, especially sweets. I also drink too much wine, which makes me eat even more, and feel even worse. It's a bad spiral.

March 26th, 2017

Great post, Ocean

For myself, I take care of myself by exercising most days of the week. By doing so, I can strive to de-stress, and gain more energy and an uplifted mood in the process. I know exercising is also great for physical health benefits, and that's a motivator, too.

I also strive to eat healthy meals, in order to try to maintain good health. I eat fish regularly, which has omega-3 benefits, and try to eat balanced meals, containing vegetables and lean proteins. I also strive to drink as much water as possible.

User Profile: cosmicdreamer08
cosmicdreamer08 March 27th, 2017

I am less anxious in the mornings, so I try to go to sleep at a decent hour every night. It has been having the most positive effect on my mental well-being. I get somewhere in between 6-8 about every night, sometimes less.

I have been eating healthier foods, eating more fruits and veggies. I eat fish at least once a week. Trying to stay away from junk food (it is tough!). I have recently learned about a lot of foods that counteract anxiety and it's extremely useful information I can apply to my eating habits.

As far as physical activity, I am trying to find a fitness routine that works best for me and it's been pretty difficult, but I know I can find something suiting for my needs.

User Profile: SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES
SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES May 22nd, 2017

Totally affects mine in every way. My whole mind, body and spirit are all jumbled up and when one is in bad shape, the other two go as well

User Profile: cosmicdreamer08
cosmicdreamer08 May 29th, 2017

@SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES I understand, Those jumbled feelings can defintely mess things up and I have been there many times and still go through it from time to time. Hang in there!

User Profile: SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES
SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES May 29th, 2017

heartheartheart@owllistentoyou

load more
load more
User Profile: JessicaMcDanielLPC
JessicaMcDanielLPC May 22nd, 2017

I definitely get a huge mental health boost when I exercise. Some research has shown exercise can actually alleviate depression symptoms without any medication or therapy!

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP May 23rd, 2017

@JessicaMcDanielLPC

Yes agreed Jessica. As a Nurse, I've seen this and the research on this as well!

load more
User Profile: healandhope
healandhope August 14th, 2021

My mental health impacts how healthy my lifestyle is sooo much! If I'm stressed or overwhelmed emotionally, I'm much more likely to be lazy and unproductive. When I'm in a better mental state, I love to do things like cleaning, organizing, etc. I try to optimize my productivity when I feel good mentally, because I feel much more fulfilled and happy that way!