Setting boundaries
I have recently started to work on setting boundaries for my own mental well-being. I tend to overextend myself because I don't want to disappoint people. But I have started to think about setting boundaries as another form of self-care. Saying no is ok and that is hard for me, but also good for me.
-Do you struggle with setting boundaries?
-How have you been able to manage being more comfortable saying no or "this is all I can do"?
Thanks for your suggestions ❤️
@halcyonCloud2036
Hey there Hal~ I totally understand what you are saying here. And have totally done the same thing. I Found myself over-extending myself to others, to try not to disappoint anyone that I thought needed me. All the while, bypassing my own needs. And in turn, totally skipping on my self-care and mental well-being. And at times, even causing a physical injury to myself trying to please others.... (when I guarantee, those same exact people I was trying to please, have currently dropped out of my life over the past 2 years, and are no longer anywhere to be found in my life presently)!..... The past 2 years have taught me ALOT in regards to learning to simply say 'NO' to others. And setting boundaries for myself. So that those types of situations don't arise in my life when not needed.
So while I have certainly struggled with setting boundaries (as I'm sure many of us have), I have now come to realize that its a MUST to set them. For my own sanity really. And have just simply become quite comfortable with saying "No" To the things that no longer make me happy or serve a "POSITIVE" purpose in my life!
@PoliteOcean
I really appreciate that phrase about things serving "a positive purpose" in your life. That is a really healthy and cathartic way to think. And I love that it is a reminder that we actually do have the choice in these matters. Thank you so much for sharing...I am incorporating this into my 2022 thinking ❤️
@halcyonCloud2036 I agree. Saying no when needed is an important part of setting boundaries. Even though it may not be easy, there are ways with which we can make saying no easier for us and less hurtful for the other person.
At times they may still get hurt, but maybe it is good for the long run.
Yes, we all struggle a bit with it. But we learn it the hard way, sadly.
I have. And I have learnt to turn it down politely. But still at times I say no a bit bluntly. Happens..
Tag: @AnotherFrenchToastClub @Exulansis00 @Feelicity08
@halcyonCloud2036
-Do you struggle with setting boundaries?
I use to really struggle but have become more committed to taking care of myself.
-How have you been able to manage being more comfortable saying no or "this is all I can do"?
It's still hard to say "no" but I chose a word for this year: "Focus" It's something I need to work on so I can achieve the goals I've set for myself. If it doesn't pertain to those goals, it isn't for me at this time.
@halcyonCloud2036
-Do you struggle with setting boundaries?
I think as a relatively young adult in this world (just finishing college) we're often told that we're the age group that should have the most energy and drive to complete things and that these years are the most important in defining our lives ahead. While I agree, I think this often makes me think I'm able to do everything, when I truly cannot. Therefore boundaries are hard to maintain in this sense.
-How have you been able to manage being more comfortable saying no or "this is all I can do"?
I think understanding that people won't judge you for having no for an answer or calling a rain check on certain things. I used to think people would think very negatively if I missed out on something for a self-care check, but I realized I have been gifted with many understanding seniors and supervisors alongside caring friends. Therefore, because of them I have been a lot more comfortable voicing what I want on certain days.