Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The ability to be satisfied for whatever our best is on a given day

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 December 11th, 2021

Hey all,

I was just thinking on some past advice that I've received in my life from therapists.

And one of them encouraged me with a statement that went something like this (my paraphrasing):

"Always do your best, but please be aware that what constitutes your best may sometimes change from day to day."

I inquired further as to what he meant, and he started talking about things like fatigue, sickness, subtle changes in mood, and just anything that could possibly affect what would otherwise be our best effort(s) on that day.

For myself, there are days I wake up just raring to go from the outset--full of energy and ready to tackle any and everything on my to-do list. On other days, it can feel more like a slow wind-up, or even more of a slog.

I feel like the main thing that I do have in control, with respect to all this, is the ability to be mindful and regulate my self-talk so that I am always being a support for myself, no matter what--everyday.

What are some ways that you have (or could think of) been able to put yourselves in the right mindset in order to give your best(s) on a given day?

8
User Profile: Remina
Remina December 11th, 2021

@sereneSunset26 Thank you for sharing this. So very true. It is also important to remember that just because someone is at a different point in life, it doesn't mean you are worth any less. Your best isn't always going to match up with someone else's best.

Hopie

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 11th, 2021

@HopieRemi

Thank you for your response!

And yeah, that is very true; I feel like one of the quickest ways for us to lose our own sense of happiness is to compare ourselves (as in what our best might be) to others.

Especially in the digital age of social media and the like, it is so to get caught up in doing that, that I feel it's even more important to make a concerted effort to be on our side, have our own backs, and to be our own supporters. Which probably sounds cliche to some extent, but again, I feel like there's a lot of truth in there. :)

User Profile: Remina
Remina December 12th, 2021

@sereneSunset26 So very true though. It is important to be aware of this when we are doing it. It is easy to look on social media and get upset when we don't match up to that image we imagine for ourselves.

Hopie

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 13th, 2021

@HopieRemi

I think that's a really profound thing that you said - when the image that we imagine for ourselves doesn't match up.

It seems like there's points during everyday for me that I have to basically talk/coach myself up to basically let myself know that I'm okay being me. And that I'm okay with wherever I may be at on a given day with my physical/mental health.

I know the image I have of myself is someone who is just (mostly) on the ball all the time and a real go-getter. At times, that is me. But at others, I'm faced with the reality that life tests me (and all of us) everyday.

User Profile: Remina
Remina December 13th, 2021

Right. At these times it is important to have some compassion for ourselves. @sereneSunset26

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 13th, 2021

@HopieRemi

For real!

It's still amazing to me that the concept of self-compassion took some self-discovery on my part to unearth. Not to mention it really wasn't something I understood until I was around 30 or so.

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 December 12th, 2021

@sereneSunset26 Thank u for sharing this. I do positive affirmations which really brightens my day.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 13th, 2021

@comfortableNight4463

You're welcome!!

I feel like affirmations are so important to regulating and enhancing our own self-talk and inner monologues.

I've said this a bunch on the forums, but it's still true, that for all of us how we talk to ourselves determines so much in regards to how we feel about ourselves. And really, I didn't discover this "secret" until I was about 31.

Better late than never!! 😅

load more