Tomorrow
I just wanted to take a minute to say even if you didn't accomplish what you had planned to do today, tomorrow is a new day to try again.
It is easy to fall into that pattern of negative thinking when we don't feel we have done "enough" and then we start to feel doubt and frustration and it can spiral from there. But each little step matters when working toward goals. If you didn't do what you wanted to do today, start with a plan of how you can work toward it tomorrow -- even just a tiny step at a time makes a difference. And know that are not alone.
How do you overcome feeling disappointed when you haven't accomplished something?
@halcyonCloud2036
I just wanted to take a minute to say even if you didn't accomplish what you had planned to do today, tomorrow is a new day to try again.
I feel like this is a really good point and something that I try to remember. It has been a huge psychological relief to me at times to know that literally each and every new day can be a fresh start.
It is easy to fall into that pattern of negative thinking when we don't feel we have done "enough" and then we start to feel doubt and frustration and it can spiral from there. But each little step matters when working toward goals. If you didn't do what you wanted to do today, start with a plan of how you can work toward it tomorrow -- even just a tiny step at a time makes a difference. And know that are not alone.
I also think you hit the nail on the head here; having goals and plans are both tied together, so closely. We can't accomplish our goals without a plan, and it's hard to have a plan without having any goals. And totally, speaking from experience, that feeling of not feeling like you're enough is pretty toxic. To this end, I believe it's been said that persistence (above talent) has been shown to be the strongest indicator for personal success. And I think to have that persistence, we have to constantly feel like we're enough and that we're doing enough--by working the plan to achieve our goals.
How do you overcome feeling disappointed when you haven't accomplished something?
I sometimes literally have a talk with myself and go ever my feelings in terms of why they're there. I also try to take inventory of what that task was/is that I didn't or haven't accomplished. And lastly, I try to tell myself that as long as I know I'm doing my best, for whatever it may be on the day, then I can most definitely *feel* accomplished.
@halcyonCloud2036I struggle with this a lot. Especially being in med school, if I don't study for the day, I feel like I was very unproductive.
I then changed my mindset. I think life should be enjoyed too. There should be a balance between work and play.